• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not moving

thai

I have a Apistogramma cacatuoides orange flash that is just laying there on the bottom of the tank behind a piece of driftwood. He has been acting this way for at least 2-3 days. I am new to them and not sure if this is normal behavior. I am very concerned right now and not sure what I can do.

I am feeding him bloodworms by just dropping it into the tank. Is there a certain way that they need to be fed? I don't have much time to watch him because I have to go to work but while I am watching him he is not going after the bloodworms.

Any clue on on what to do would really help.

Thanks

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Thai, is this a newly constructed tank? Some water parameters would be nice, whatever it is, it sounds like stress until we can get more information. Apistos are active, investigative fish, this is abnormal behaviour.

Does his colours look faded as well? Fins clamped?

Gary

thai

This tank has been up and running for a few years now. The apisto has only been in there for about 1.5 weeks. I do not have water parameters right now (at work) and haven't taken any in a while. I will try to do it when I get home.

His color doesn't seem to be faded but it's pretty hard to view him because he is laying on the substrate and behind a driftwood. So I can only see parts of him.

What do you mean by clamped fins? Is it tucked close to his body? I think it is.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
That's not a good sign my friend. Fins clamped and resting on the bottom, something is causing this fish distress. Once you post the water parameters, we can go from there. What type of wood do you have in the tank?

Gary

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Ok, that wood is Aquarium safe. Sounds like something is amiss with the water. Did you do a water change recently? Excuse the questions, maybe can figure this out before you get home.

Gary

thai

I did a water change last Friday the 16th. He seemed fine. I left for the weekend and had my friend feed the fishes for me. He is not a fish person so I am not sure if he observed any usual behavior. The question are fine, thanks for taking the time to try to help me.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Did your friend overfeed? Have you done a water change recently (like in the last 2 or 3 days)? You might want to start doing some small water changes and a good vac of the gravel/sand to ensure that no rotting food is befouling the water creating toxic conditions.

Not knowing how your water is, I usually top up with pre-treated, pre-aged, pre-oxygenated water for my fish. In fact, I go through more lengths for my fish than I do for myself. :D

Gary

thai

I am not sure if he overfed or not. I gave him instructions on the amount to feed and not to give to much but I am not sure what he exactly did.

Thats a good idea. I was planning to do a water change tonight after work.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
If your fish is stressed, just do a small one. I would say 10-15%. Make sure you look for rotting food and other items that might cause possible water problems in the tank.

Eventually, you might want to clean your filtration unit as well. Remember to use tank water to clean the sponges and media.

Keep me posted.

Gary

thai

I just went home and saw him. He moved but is still hanging out on the bottom of the tank, his fins are not clamped but they are touching the substrate. His body color looks a little darker then before because I am not able to see the stripe that runs along his body clearly.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
When an Apisto darkens up, its not usually a good thing. Have you done a water change and can you give us some water readings (before the change)? I am curious as to what the the water specs are. I think you have something in there causing him issue.

Gary

nellyfish22

5 Year Member
Usually, when an apisto darkens up this represents some sort of internal bacteria? Also this would explain his sluggish behaviour.I would try an internal bacteria treatment and see if you notice any improvement.

Crazygar

5 Year Member
Try feeding the fish some medicated food, I use Marine Flakes with Garlic in it, but if it is internal parasites, you'll need something stronger. Make sure you do daily small water changes, and ensure nothing is in the tank to stress him.

pH is ok, but I would gun for a little bit more closer to 6.8

Gary

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….