• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not Cacatuoides???

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I was at a local store and there were a bunch of A cacatuoides that were mixed in with some other Apistogramma. I was able to talk to people in to letting me sort through the tank and catch my own fish. I ended up with three nice male cacatuoides that all look pretty much textbook. There were ten females and six or seven other fish that looked as though they could be young males and females. After six weeks it has become clear that the group of others is not young cacatuoides. I have a fish in mind and I am excited at the prospect but I will hold my guess for now. The female of the group is tending a spawn and has been hard on the males in the tank so today I moved all of the fish except the female and her spawn to another tank.

This is the only male that would cooperate with my photographic attempts.

DSC04473.jpg

DSC04474.jpg

DSC04475.jpg

Tom C

5 Year Member
This is an Apistogramma sp. "Black-chin/Schwarzkinn" I collected in 2007

914.jpg

and I think your female shows a black area on the chin, like this one do ?

374.jpg

Tom C

5 Year Member
.......Where did you catch you're fish?

I have collected them on several occasions, always in the hilly area between Rio Nanay and Rio Itaya, west of Iquitos in the Peruvian Amazon.

910.jpg

Clear blackwater, no water movement, fine sand on the bottom, and lots of leaf litter.
pH: 4,70 Conductivity: 63 microSiemens/cm T: 31,6 °C
(End of dry season, October 2007)

Good luck, chris!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….