• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Njisenni and Cacatuoides???

njmomie

5 Year Member
I currently have two Cacatuoides in a 12 gallon with 3 rummy nose tetras. One is about 2 inches and the other is slightly smaller. I am hoping they are a pair. My LFS recently ordered some Njisenni juveniles and I wondered if I should get some. In a previous post, Neil said that Njisennis are more aggressive and may be too aggressive for the Cacatuoides. Will this occur even if they are still juveniles and grow up together or will problems only flare up during mating?

aspen

5 Year Member
problems occur at any time when keeping cichlids. you can have a relatively peaceful tank, then blammo! a pair forms, and it can be hell for the rest or for each other. it doesn't have to be the most likely fish that decides it is going to take possession of that tank either. whenever you mix cichlids it is a good idea to have an alternate plan ready in the wings. make sure that you can split your cycled media, for when a new tank needs to be started. i use aquaclear's, and always have multiple sponges, ready to start another tank. corner box filters are also GREAT when loaded with 'split-able' media. if f/i, you want to remove a pair with fry, that will be the WORST time to be worrying about ammonia and nitrite.

rick

Neil

njmomie,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

...Njisennis are more aggressive and may be too aggressive for the Cacatuoides. Will this occur even if they are still juveniles and grow up together or will problems only flare up during mating?

It is a fairly safe bet to keep these fish together as juvs. As a matter of fact, it is relatively safe to keep a fair number of them together as adults. But, yes, the big problem arises when they pair up. Nijsenni won't necessarily be more aggressive than cacatuoides in a tank with a pair of both. But, as a general rule, they seem to be aggressive more often than many other apistos.
Aspen has some good advise though. A prepared back-up plan like that is a good option to be able to try what you intend and not be stuck with the result. You never know, they may live fairly peacefully together with only minor displays.
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wrothgar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….