• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie Questions

GalaxiePete

5 Year Member
From the title, I am obviously a newbie to apistos. But not to South Americans in general, I have kept fish for 20+ years. I never seen apistos available in LFS until this summer when one I frequent recieved some cacatuoide triple reds. (And yes I have looked - they just don't seem to be available around here. Or in Denver where I lived for a while.) I purchased a couple pair and to make a long story short these are the kind of fish I always wanted. I have been doing some research - but just don't have time to read all the posts everywhere. This seems to be the one of the most active apisto forums and I decided that this was the place to get involved on the net.

I am very interested in picking up 2 or 3 additional varieties - I do have 2 tanks waiting for them. I have a 29 and a 55 that would make fine apisto homes. My other 29 already has the triple reds. The White Cacatuoides (TR) I seen on this site for sale are something I would love to get my hands on as an example.

I think I know the general behavior patterns of these critters from reading and watching mine (at least my particular group), but I am curious as to what varieties are not particularly aggressive toward other apistos. What are the milder varieties in behaviour in general. My cacatuoides I find to be what I consider very mild in general - except the 2 males going after each other and even then they are not super agressive. I have some dwarf cories in with them and they don't even look at them. (And yes they have bred, but I was not prepared for it)

Appearance wise, I like MANY varieties - A. viejita II Super Red and A. Borelli as examples (Not to mention the White Cacatuoides (TR) - are they still available?) I have read several places that Borelli are among the most mild as well - which at the present time is a good thing in my opinion. But I know nothing of the viejita. But having seen only pictures of virtually all the varieties (and pictures that very greatly in coloration)...I would appreciate advice.

What really colorful well behaved apistos are out there? Which will get along well with cacatuoides or are there any that get along great with each other in particular? And finally WHERE can I find a good reliable source? I am in Michigan, a relatively local person would be great. However air shipping is also good.

Pete

Neil

GalaxiePete,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Sorry for the delay in response. I have been super busy the past week or 2 and missed this post. Better late than never, I guess!

This seems to be the one of the most active apisto forums and I decided that this was the place to get involved on the net.

Usually, this is probably the best place to get info. In the future, if no-one answers your posts within a few days, please feel free to ask why!

I am curious as to what varieties are not particularly aggressive toward other apistos.

That is sometimes a matter of the individual fish, rather than just the species. Many other things play a role as well. The size and way your tank is set up (structure in the tank can divide territories), tankmates (dithers can mitigate aggression), whether the apistos are similar in type (groups and complexes), genders (pairs have more at stake to fight about), etc. can all determine how well species will get along with another.

Appearance wise, I like MANY varieties - A. viejita II Super Red and A. Borelli as examples (Not to mention the White Cacatuoides (TR) - are they still available?) I have read several places that Borelli are among the most mild as well - which at the present time is a good thing in my opinion. But I know nothing of the viejita. But having seen only pictures of virtually all the varieties (and pictures that very greatly in coloration)...I would appreciate advice.

Borellii would be a very good choice. Viejita/macmasteri can be a little more aggressive and require more manipultion of the water to be successful, but is also a reasonable choice. Please contact me off-forum for information about White cacs.

There are a ton of colorful varieties and it is a matter of personal preference as to what you like. One species can differ alot in appearance, so it is helpful to get an idea of the source.

What really colorful well behaved apistos are out there? Which will get along well with cacatuoides or are there any that get along great with each other in particular? And finally WHERE can I find a good reliable source? I am in Michigan, a relatively local person would be great. However air shipping is also good.

It is a good idea to continue searching for specific species and asking specific questions, as well as continuing to read about them. The possibilities are endless. There are also quite a few reliable sources for Apistogramma species. Most can ship to you, if you can't find anything nearby. But again, it is helpful to know with whom you are dealing via research.

Good luck in your new-found journey.

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….