• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Year's resolution and fundraiser

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I just got off an email conversation with Jeff Michels, sharing my disappointment about a failed spawning attempt by my Tilapia ruweti. As a fall out, I came up with the following resolutions (goals) for 2010:

1. Spawn Alcolapia alcalicus
2. Spawn Astatotilapia desfontainii
3. Spawn Tilapia ruweti

I'll donate $10 to apistogramma.com for each goal missed in December 2010. If nothing else, this might create some cash for Ted to work with at his discretion. Others are welcome to join, setting your own price tag.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hmmm... I do not know if I should wish you success or not. :tongue: Best of luck. We need those species in the hobby more than I need the money for the website.

We could run this like a pledge drive. For every fry of those three species that you raise and distribute to other hobbyists (you can sell them... I do not care so long as they are distributed) in 2010 I will donate $1 of my wife's money to the website.

Keep track of the number you spread around in this thread. I can sticky it if it starts to sink on the board.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
2011 Resolution/fundraiser

Ted: I pulled up this old thread. I spawned 2 of the 3 species (alcalicus, ruweti) and just transferred cash for my failed run at the desfontainii. I gave away 11 ruweti and 32 alcalicus to other hobbyists.

I'm doing this again for 2011; the three species are:
1) Steatocranus sp. superslender
2) Chromidotilapia melaniae
3) Teleogramma brichardi

Janos

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Janos,

You and I need to find a few species to work with at the same time and go head to head in a breeding contest. The losser, get's beat by the other person having the fish spawn first, has to kick in some cash per speces to apistogramma.com.

How does that sound? The more the merrier in the contest as well assuming the fish are available.

Have any ideas for 3-6 fish to work with?

Jeff

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I wouldn't dare to challenge the Master Breeder, would I? Although I know your weak spot, T. ruweti!:biggrin:

You've seen my fishroom, which is only mid-sized. Working with 3-6 species at the same time would be difficult for me to handle. How about picking one species that hasn't been spawned in captivity before and neither one of us is currently keeping? Perhaps something that isn't easy to obtain? Gobiocichla ethelwynnae (I gave away my group earlier this year), Teleogramma depressum, or Tilapia sparrmannii would be something to consider. I wouldn't want to purchase and ship any new fish until spring when it gets warmer.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Who's the master breeder? I get lucky by volume!!! The ruweti are a sore spot though. I have some cool pictures of a female swimming around with an egg stuck to her vent but that's as far as I've gotten.

The G. ethelwynnae might work. I have a group of 10-12 wild caught roughly 1 3/4"-2" ones that we could split in a few months. They are curretly in a 20 high all together just growing out so I wouldn't have a head start but we would both be able to start with healthy clean fish as I've had them a few months now. A tilapia of some sort would also work for me. I'd LOVE to work with T. depressum but finding some in this country is a contest all by itself!

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff, I didn't word my post very well -- I actually meant to refer to you as the master breeder, believe it or not:wink:

I'm trying to locate some depressum, but it's a long shot. If that doesn't work out, we can talk about the ethelwynnae.

Janos

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, you worded it just fine Janos. I just don't consider myself any where near a master breeder. But thank you. You have spawned many fish I haven't been able to get to go.

I'll also keep my eyes open for any odd balls. I got a fresh list today with some Cameroon fish on it again finally. Prices are up quit a bit on fish from that country due to freight costs. I'll try t post the highlights nder my sales section later to see if here is any interest.

jmtrops

5 Year Member
I would like in on this as well. Any Teleogramma and G. ethelwinnae is good and I would sugest Pelvicachromis rubrolabiatus. I was thinking a challenge like this is a good way to get some of the rarer westies in the hobby.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thank you for the donation Janos, and congratulations on spawning 2 out of three.

The hardest part of a contest is getting the breeders. G. ethelwyneae are available, so that may be the quickest option.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jeff, I'm still sitting on the fences as to whether do this or not (tank space). Two other species to consider would be N. transvestitus and P. humilis Dinkaya. I kept two pairs each way back and failed miserably, due to their high level of aggression (particularly the Dinkaya).

Janos

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Hey, I'm in for a challenge like that. Great idea. I wish my concscience would let me pick a fish like P. pulcher. :) How about:

1. Nanochromis teguelsi (previously spawned, lost the parents)
2. Nanochromis dimidiatus
3. Apistogramma trifasciata

jmtrops

5 Year Member
It looks like we lost a couple of posts. I wrote this in response to the missing ones. Sabinae is good. You can start with one pair if you want but I always start with at least 2 pairs. It would be nice if we all try to maintain them beyond the end of the contest. That seems to a problem, when we get some of these fish and only keep them for a year then they are not in the hobby for a while. This year with the WACMP I would like to see us do a true species maintenance. Each of us would pick our favorite westie and organize some other hobbyist (a group of 5 would be good) to commit to maintaining them. I’m going to start this with my local club for N. transvestites this year. The Killi clubs do this with some success.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Jim: I couldn't agree more. I never acquire a species only to get rid of it after the first spawn.

The problem with the WACMP is that we all have good intentions, but very little time. Whatever entries you have for me, for example, is probably outdated. But there might be a better place to discuss this than in this thread, which was originally about New Year Resolutions and raising some operating funds for Ted,

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
So...to recap the missing posts a little:

-Discounted buying price on the contest fish (if they come through me)

-$10 "escrow" payment to apistogramma.com with a refund of $10 going to the first person in the contest to spawn the fish and raise 5 fry to 45 days of age

The suggestion of Congochromis sabinae was made because they are a difficult fish to keep and breed and are also available right now. I can offer wild pairs of C. sabinae for the contest at $40/pair (instead of the list $60/pr) but I need to know by the end of this week how many people want to take part in this so I order enough fish. (I'll also find out this week how many pairs are available to me)

The fish will be shipped out to each contest member, at the contest member's expense, in late winter/early spring unless a warm weather shipping window appears sooner.

If this goes well I would be open to have additional contests in the future with other fish as they are available.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Anyone that is interested in taking part in the contest please PM me with how many pairs of Congochromis (Nanochromis) sabinae you would like no later then Thursday January 6th.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….