• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apistos

summerboy1958

Hi. You might say I'm an apisto owner wannabe.

After an abortive attempt at African's (lack of research on my part and lack of knowledge by my LFS), I wanted to put together a much calmer community tank based on cichlids. I love their inteligence and activity. Anyway, after discussion on another cichlid forum, they suggested SA dwarfs. I am looking for something forgiving and reasonably hardy. They suggested 2 pair of Bolivians or a trio of Apistos. I am not interested in breeding at this time, I just want an interesting, happy community tank.

So, I have my 30 gallon (36" long) set up, planted, chemistry good, some rocks, caves, wood, silver tipped tetras as dithers and some oto's to handle the algae.

And here I sit. My LFS doesn't carry Apistos. They will order them, but no guarantee on delivery and what they will get. They only order in pairs. They would charge $18 each for a "regular" caca or agassizii. They didn't understand "double or triple red". :frown:

So I Googled and found your forum!!

I would love to know if there is a reliable source that doesn't cost an arm and a leg where I could get my trio. Is $18 a good price? There seem to be a number of places that will sell Apistos, but I really don't want sick or unhealthy fish that die as soon as I get them.

HELP!!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Welcome!

With your "chemistry good" comment, what exactly are your water parameters, specifically, pH and temp. That will be a good place to start for those making recommendations of dwarf cichlids. There are also other dwarf cichlids that are not apistos but are just as much fun.

summerboy1958

I don't have an RO system and don't treat my water. The pH is ~7.3. The hardness is currently 105, but is coming down. My tap water had a snow salt spike and is now about 53. A few more water changes ought to bring the tank down more. The temp is about 80 f. I have a 150 watt heater.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….