• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apistos: Cacatuoides in 20g long

Molino

5 Year Member
I'm new to Apistos, I just got a 20 gallon long tank and am considering putting some cacatuoides in. As there is quite a bit of ground space (30*12") in a 20 gallon could I put 1 or 2 males and twice as many females, or is this too much for the territory. I understand cacatuoides are some of the best beginner apistos and may even breed.

I was also considering some tankmates, to make it a community tank, that wouldn't bother the apistos too much and possibly a small pleco (I know some varieties only get 3-4").

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Randall

5 Year Member
New to Apistos

Dear Molino,

Congratulations on deciding to start with your first Apistogramma species! Cacatuoides is an excellent first choice as well.

In a 20-long, it might be best to purchase a young(er) trio (1 male and 2 females) and allow them to establish breeding territories in time. Each female should have her own cave or cave like structure, preferably at opposite ends of the tank. Dither fish, like small tetras or a few pencil fish are also a good idea. As for the pleco, I vote for some Otocinclus sp. instead. They're far less invasive and won't eat your Apisto's eggs.

Good luck!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

R

Ricochet

Randall,

Could you recommend several LFS's in the northern NJ or Westchester/NYC area that have a decent selection of apistos?

Thanks.

Randall

5 Year Member
LFR's in NNJ

Dear Ricochet,

Sure I can! If you log on to to the Northern New Jersey Aquarium Society's website at njas.net, they have a list of preferred retailers. My personal favorite is the one located in Chester, because the owner and I have become good friends.

Hope this helps.

Randall Kohn

Neil

Molino,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I agree with Randall. Cacatuoides are ideal. A trio will give you some very interesting viewing. Cacatuoides can't be beat. They are nice-looking, usually outgoing, easily spawned and not too aggresive, especially with some other tank mates (dithers). Good luck and have fun.
Neil

Molino

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll go with 3 cacatuoides and some dithers once the tank is ready. Would you happen to know how long they live?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….