• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to apistogramma cacatuoides

Kelvin90

I bought a pair of yellow apistogramma cacatuoides in 70L tank and they are fine
Then i decided to buy a female red apistogramma cacatuoides and she has been chased by the female of the initial pair and if she is not chased she is just hiding on top of my filter or heater.
Is this a sign of the other female unhappy? How do i fix this issue? Thanks so much

yukondog

5 Year Member
First welcome to the sight.
Is this a sign of the other female unhappy? How do i fix this issue?
Myself, I would remove the female you dont want to breed and leave the other pair in the 70L., keep the odd female in another tank in case it does not work out with the other pair.

Kelvin90

First welcome to the sight.

Myself, I would remove the female you dont want to breed and leave the other pair in the 70L., keep the odd female in another tank in case it does not work out with the other pair.
Thank you :) i will remove the female now.

Kelvin90

why is my male and female fighting after my female has given birth & fries are swimming freely ? they were fine before until all the fries swim freely?

MacZ

A. cacatuoides do not form mated pairs. The males sometimes help with raising fry, sometimes they don't and then the females tend to chase them away seeing them as a risk to the fry.

Also they don't give birth, they lay eggs.

Got a second tank you can move the male to?

Kelvin90

I do, but the other tanks have 4 bolivian ram and one female apistogramma red. Should i move him there?
I am afraid they will fight and one will die.

anewbie

You shoudl move him as long as the other tank isn't crowded. Btw you might have problems with the ram as they get older. Last but least what species is the apistogramma red - the red is a colour morph but it can apply to several different species.

Kelvin90

You shoudl move him as long as the other tank isn't crowded. Btw you might have problems with the ram as they get older. Last but least what species is the apistogramma red - the red is a colour morph but it can apply to several different species.
the red one is also cacatuoides. ok, i think it is a good idea to move this yellow male away from the yellow female

Apistomom

Hi Kelvin I am a newbie to Apistos. I have a male double red and 2 females. The male and 1 of the females are bullying the other female. I started watching them today and noticed eggs. Now it makes sense. Hope all goes well for you. Wish me luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….