• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member,Apistogramma SP Apache/Painted Face.

Microman

5 Year Member
Hello,my name is Mark , I am from Shropshire,England,and I am new to computing so bear with me.Having never been on any sort of forum before I really dont know what sort of feedback to expect but here we go.
I recently attended the British Cichlid Associations A.G.M.and conference and during the auction managed to aquire some Apistogramma SP Apache/Painted Face(1 male,3 female).They are wild specimens.
Are these the same as the fish named Cara Pintada?What are their requirements for maintenance and do they have a willingness to breed readily?
I hope somebody out there can help and I apologise for babbling on a bit but it is my first post,Thankyou.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mark,

Your A. sp. Apache probably are the same fish that has been sold as A. sp. Carapintada (Spanish for 'Painted Face"). I try to get people ot avoid the Carapintada name because 2 different species have been sold under this name. I prefer to use the name A. sp. Masked/Masken only because it is the name originally used for the fish that you have. As for breeding A. sp. Masked, they are relatively easy, requiring slightly acid, moderately soft water to successfully reproduce. My personal experience with this species is that the the males can be hard on females that aren't ready to breed. I even have to remove my male while my female broods her fry. I only have a pair in a 15 gallon tank. In a larger tank with 3 females to keep the male occupied, things might work out differently.

Microman

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,

Thanks for the info Mike,I will certainly be referring to them as Masked/Masken as of now.At the moment I have them in a 20 gal tank,maybe a bit small for breeding purposes but I will see how they go.
Im glad to hear that they breed readily and I will keep an eye on the male in case he gets a little excitable.Water shouldnt be a problem.
I will let you know of any success.
Thanks once again,Mark.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….