• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New father

John367

hello all.after introducing 2 females and 1 male apisto agassizi two weeks ago I have fry!!!
I'm amazingly excited, but we go away tonight until Tuesday so will miss this crucial stage. In your massive experience what's likely to happen?!
I have a mate feeding my fish for me so will just have to let nature take its course.
Thanks all.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Does your mate know how to feed new fry? If not, then my guess is that many of the fry will be lost. It really depends on how the tank is set up, of course. An established tank with plants means there are a lot of micro-organisms available for the fry to eat. A newly setup tank with few/no plants won't have enough micro-organism for all of the fry. Just remember that if you lose the fry the adults will breed again.

John367

Cheers Mike
Well left instructions on how to use liquifry. I know it's not ideal but the best I can do while I'm away.
It is a established tank with plants so fingers crossed.
I'm just amazed it happened so quickly or at all.!!

John367

Well it's summer and I'm flat out with work, family etc but I've tried to monitor the developments as much as poss.
I think I started out with around 12 fry?
Caught the father chasing the fry around and removed him immediately.
I think I'm now down to 6. That looks like 4 males and 2 females.
At what point should I remove them and re install the male?
Will try and post a photo!
Cheers John

yukondog

5 Year Member
For my Borellii I removed the fry at about 8 weeks. I like to keep my males and females separate after removing the fry for about a month and feed live/frozen food before breeding again.

John367

For my Borellii I removed the fry at about 8 weeks. I like to keep my males and females separate after removing the fry for about a month and feed live/frozen food before breeding again.
Thanks
I've got a little aquarium I will set up this weekend I think!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….