• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New book on dwarf cichlids!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I thought I would let you all know that a new “special publication†is now on sale. It is titled, Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids, published by Ulmer Verlag, who publishes the German magazine, DATZ. Excuse my bias, but I expect it to replace Aqualog’s Southamerican Cichlids II as the picture book for identifying dwarf cichlids. Like SACII, all of the information in the book is in both German & English. The English translation is better (courtesy, for the most part, of yours truly). Since I’ve seen the galley proof of the book, here are some of the items it includes:

Each fish is pictured with short notes on other names, type locality, distribution, degree of breeding difficulty, & - where useful - short comments. Overall, the photos are excellent. This “DATZ Sonderheft (special publication)â€Â, in part makes up for the poorly printed pictures in Die Buntbarshe Amerikas, Band 2 – Apistogramma & Co. by Ingo Koslowski. Most of the photos in this book are those found in the earlier book, but in all of their spectacular colors. Its other function is to up-date our knowledge of new dwarf cichlid species since Koslowski’s book was published in 2002. The new book also has the expected sections on ecology, maintenance, basic breeding, and important references published after 2002 & not in Koslowski’s book. These sections are short & the authors recommend Koslowski’s book for a more detailed discussion. Most of the book is pictures of fish:

243 different species and distinct forms of Apistogramma.
1 species of Apistogrammoides
1 species of Taeniacara
3 species of Mikrogeophagus
3 species & distinct forms of Biotoecus
2 species of Crenicara
5 species & distinct forms of Dicrossus
1 species of Mazarunia (the real M. mazarunii)
1 species of an undescribed genus, the Red Patwa (we once thought it was M. mazarunii)
9 species & distinct forms of Nannacara
6 species of Laetacara

The Apistogramma section is arranged by species-complexes, so that closely related species are on the same page & can be easily compared with each other. This is so much better than going from one page to another looking for similar fish. In addition, for the first time anywhere, there is a phylogeny (family tree) for apistos based on DNA studies! It shows some interesting relationships that weren’t expected, and confirms other relationships. Also included is a numbering system (A-numbers) similar to that used for Corydoras (C-numbers) and Loracarids (L-numbers). Maybe this will help with all of the confusing names for the same species.

Although it isn’t full of text, it puts a lot of information in a few sentences. In this respect, it is similar to the Baensch Aquarium Atlas. It is a book well worth having. Cost? Under €25 ($30)!

For more information (in German) see: http://www.datz.de/LEIZ2DHAlBnQm7Yp7F1opAn2aJ2ZMDH++.HTML?UID=410A6D40B3D8D2D699E63E5A3320925B12B9E4181C90

For views of some of the book see: http://www.datz.de/hEIZ2DHAlC1Ql7YNAEJB6GJB0HXon9HUkA12hA1YlAGop7ZF3HJ-THI37HXp4IP43nO27pMqUiO5Fh7Yp7F1opAn2+.HTML?UID=410A6D40B3D8D2D699E63E5A3320925B12B9E4181C93

I am toying with the idea of selling this book with an English translation of Koslowski’s book along with this new book some time in the future (I have permission from the publisher & author.). Anyone interested?

zmirek

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
I thought I would let you all know that a new “special publication†is now on sale. It is titled, Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids, published by Ulmer Verlag, who publishes the German magazine, DATZ. Excuse my bias, but I expect it to replace Aqualog’s Southamerican Cichlids II as the picture book for identifying dwarf cichlids. Like SACII, all of the information in the book is in both German & English. The English translation is better (courtesy, for the most part, of yours truly).
Hi Mike,
Wow!
Forgive me this phrase but it is real reason to use it

From attached links it looks really interesting especially if you consider that news (and "up-dates") reg. our dwarfs are coming too often and too fast ;-)
Now we are getting latest snap-shot of situation.
Mike Wise said:
I am toying with the idea of selling this book with an English translation of Koslowski’s book along with this new book some time in the future (I have permission from the publisher & author.). Anyone interested?
Yes, yes, yes I am really interested in getting such "set".
Do you have any idea reg. cost, "form" of translation of Koslowski's book and how fast it could be available?
As for my friends I think you can also consider that both Bolek and Greg (from this forum) will be interested in it

Greetings from Poland

yorky

5 Year Member
Mike,
Congratulations on the translation work!

I am definitely keen on the bundle.
Can't wait...
You have PM.

Regards

Greg PL

5 Year Member
great thing. can't wait to lay my hands on it. I've heard so much about the Koslovski's book and would like to have it in English.
As Mirek said - we're ready when you are, Mike.

P.W.

5 Year Member
Here´s an order from me also!
When can you ship it, Mike? :)

Best regards/ Per

Rolo

5 Year Member
Hi,

I have this book since last saturday :)
I can absolutely recommend it. It's a little bit expensive, but actually you can't compare it with the Aqualog. This one is really good!

...except the picture of Mike *g* ... are you sick? You look a litte bit green in your face *hehe*
But the rest of the pictures are good quality this time (not as dark as in Koslowskis book)

best regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Very funny, Rolo! :biggrin: Rainer gave me 3 days to get a photo to him. I ran out to my local park & had my son take a quick digital picture. Green cast is from the sun filtering through the trees. Maybe I should have "tweaked" it a bit before sending. Anyway, you must admit that I live in a beautiful part of the US.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Regarding the translation of Koslowski's book, I hope to have it ready in a few months (I have other projects to finish first). I won't know how much it will cost until it's finished. I'll sell it to anyone who has Koslowski's book or the new DATZ special publication, so if you want to buy either now, go for it!

kray

5 Year Member
Hi, Is this new book available via online bookshop? I couldn't find it in Amazon dotcom. I don't think the book is available in Singapore.

blueblue

5 Year Member
kray said:
Hi, Is this new book available via online bookshop? I couldn't find it in Amazon dotcom. I don't think the book is available in Singapore.

i also wish to know ^.^

zmirek

5 Year Member
Hi blue,

If it comes to Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids it seems that you have missed something :)

However it is German publication but this is bi-langual (German/English) so whatever you choose it will be readable for you ;-)

BTW choise of fish you have there are really amazing (even if we consider that prices are also amazing). It is always nice to see "blue pictures"

Randall

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:

Hello Mike,

Yes, I'm interested and expect that other apistogramma.com members are interested as well. Perhaps you'd like to utilize the "Apisto News" section of the site to promote the book set offering, like we did with Anton Lamboj's book (http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/The...es_of_Western_Africa<i>_by_Dr._Anton_Lamboj/).

I say, go for it!

All the best,

Randall

Chris(wildcaught!)

5 Year Member
I have probably also bought the book.

The entire order page was in German :confused: so I hope i filled it out correctly.

Anyway I would also be interested in the translation of Koslowskis book.

blueblue

5 Year Member

blueblue

5 Year Member

Hi Mirek ^.^ Thanks and yes, i miss the point and i know that
the book is German/English... Thanks for your kind words on my
fish. For the prices, in fact, some of my fish's prices are amazingly
low ^.^ (e.g., a pair of 3cm pandura only costs me $US4-6 !! ...)
while some are quite high (e.g, a pair of top-quality
Eliza costs me over $US400)... really a huge difference among
different species.

I am actually also interested in the market around the world,
so, what is the price range in, e.g., Poland, the US, and Singapore?
Let's share. ^_^

zmirek said:
Hi blue,

If it comes to Südamerikanische Zwergcichliden/South American Dwarf Cichlids it seems that you have missed something :)

However it is German publication but this is bi-langual (German/English) so whatever you choose it will be readable for you ;-)

BTW choise of fish you have there are really amazing (even if we consider that prices are also amazing). It is always nice to see "blue pictures"

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hello mummymonkey: Have you got the book yet?
I placed order last week and received an email from the bookstore
yesterday saying that the book is a new publication and it takes a longer time
for me to get it... i am quite unhappy with it as i have selected a more expensive delivery mode so as to get the books quickly but they now say it takes me weeks to get it... then it makes no difference between the cheaper and slower delivery mode and the more expensive mode... ~.~

mummymonkey said:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….