• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistogramma Agassizii pair

Andy452

Hi

About 3 weeks ago I bought a pair of Apistogramma Agassizii. :)
I placed them into a 9gal quarantine tank with 5 existing ember tetra as dithers. The QT tank is bare bottom with sponge filter, ceramic cave, small rock with anubias on it, and I later added a piece of wood covered in java moss from my community tank.
After 1 week I noticed the female keeping the ember tetras up one end of the tank and I found eggs in the cave! The pair had spawned.
But are couple of days later the eggs were gone :( I assume someone ate them though I'm not sure who.
The following few days there was more aggression between the pair with the male chasing the female a bit, thats when I added the moss covered wood, to provide some shelter and a visual block in the tank.
These last few days the pair seem to be getting along better.

So now I have some questions...

Q1) Are they likely to spawn again?

Q2) Should I keep the pair in the quarantine tank for an extended time in the hope they spawn again?

Q3) I could move them to my community tank (11 rummy nose, 3 cory, 1 bristle nose) that was the original plan but I know any fry would not be safe in there, do you think any would survive? I think not as I believe rummy nose are known fry preditors plus I dont know how the apistos and bristle nose would get along..

Q4) In the near future I could set up a 18gal tank for the apiso pair and either ember tetra or pencil fish as dithers, is this the best approach if I'm wanting to spawn/breed apistos?

Q5) Are these a particular colour strain of Apistogramma Agassizii? tefe, yellow... Regardless I like the look of these Agassizii, to me they appear more natural than the fire red etc.

ApistogrammaAgassizii_Female_small.jpg ApistogrammaAgassizii_Male_small.jpg

Thanks
//Andy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So now I have some questions...

Q1) Are they likely to spawn again?

Yes, most likely.

Q2) Should I keep the pair in the quarantine tank for an extended time in the hope they spawn again?

That is your choice. I quarantine for a minimum of 4, more often 6 weeks. If they spawn again in your quarantine tank just treat it as their breeding tank for now. Your tank is a bit small, so you will need to maintain it more carefully than a larger tank.

Q3) I could move them to my community tank (11 rummy nose, 3 cory, 1 bristle nose) that was the original plan but I know any fry would not be safe in there, do you think any would survive? I think not as I believe rummy nose are known fry preditors plus I dont know how the apistos and bristle nose would get along..

Unlikely, but it really depends on how the tank is decorated and how large it is. A community tank is not a breeding tank (where have I heard that before??).

Q4) In the near future I could set up a 18gal tank for the apiso pair and either ember tetra or pencil fish as dithers, is this the best approach if I'm wanting to spawn/breed apistos?

I think it would be better than your other 2 tanks and can be decorated to encourage breeding.

Q5) Are these a particular colour strain of Apistogramma Agassizii? tefe, yellow... Regardless I like the look of these Agassizii, to me they appear more natural than the fire red etc.

Good looking fish. I can't say they are A. sp. Tefé or A. agassizii from the photos. My guess the latter.

Andy452

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

And you were right they have spawned again, so I will go along with using the quarantine tank as a breeding tank for now and hopefully see some fry this time. I hope the eggs do not get eaten the the pair can learn to raise the fry.

//Andy

Andy452

Hi All,

I have Apistogramma Agassizii Fry!! :D:D
ApistogrammaAgassiziiFry_20200113_3_small.jpg
So since my last post my pair of Apistogramma Agassizii have spawned a few time, with the eggs being layed on the side of a cave.

A few days back I noticed the female being a little more aggressive than usual suggesting another spawn and then this morning I saw free swimming fry :)
I was about to do a water change on the tank and suck up some detritus, glad I didn't other wise I might have sucked up some fry!

The pair and 4 ember tetra are still in the quarantine tank and as per the photo the fry are very very small. Oh and the 4 Ember tetras are being kept to one corner of the tank as the parents chase them away.
I have got a new 18Gal but it is not set up yet, I have been building a cabinet for it. But if fry survive I can use it as a grow out tank.

Q a) Should I remove the male? I could move him to my community tank. Thus far he seems to be doing a good job, keeping ember tetras away and not eating fry at least not that I have seen.

Q b) There is a moss covered log in the tank which there could be some microscopic food, what else should I feed? I have micro worms, and also frozen BBS (baby brine shrimp)

//Andy

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Congradulations, Andy. As for the male, if he isn't bothering the female, I'd keep him in the tank. Trying to catch him might stress the female more than leaving him in. Stressed females often eat fry. As for fry food, the microworms would be better than frozen BBS. I find live BBS is best. The fry orient on motion so sinking foods, like frozen foods, are not as actively eaten as moving live foods.

Andy452

Thanks Mike.
That was my conundrum would removing the male disturb them too much. I have left him in there for now, and so far so good.
The fry are still very small hanging around mum and both parents seem to be doing a good job.

I did do a small water change again I was concerned with disturbing them but also want to keep on top of water quality. I just siphoned out the water and detritus with a small 8mm hose and only at one end of the tank.

Not sure that the fry could handle BBS at the moment but I'll look into hatching some eggs in the near future.

Andy452

Sad news :( This morning I found my female Apistogramma Agassizii dead and upside down on the bottom of the tank.....
So sad because the parents were seeming to do so well and this was the first successful spawn.
Male was still in the tank but there was no aggression towards her, not sure how she died, her body seemed to be in good condition, no visable damage or fin nips etc.

Do you think the fry will survive without mum?
The fry are still very young ~ 1week. Currently they seem to be hanging out around there usual spots, back of the cave or near the base of the filter and also around dad a little more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….