• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New apisto, ID help

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
P4290087.jpg

CpiadeP5010102.jpg

CpiadeP5010072.jpg

CpiadeP5010095.jpg

Peter Lovett1

5 Year Member
Hi to be honest i would not call it that the fish andrew is talking about comes from Peru and I assume your fish came from the rio negro so i dont think it can be that one. However im not sure what it is did you catch any females and can you let us know where it was colected

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It definitely is not A. sp. Winkelfleck. The dorsal and anal fin are much too large for Winkelfleck - and the body is too elongate and not laterally compressed. It looks like a pertensis-group species (high dorsal fin; elongate and slightly compressed body; round and striped caudal fin; separate caudal spot). I, however, don't know of any pertensis-group species that shows such prominent vertical bars when in threat display. I don't see a prominent lateral spot either. Very odd! I can't say what species it is, base on present information. Do you have photos of the female? Were they sold under a name?

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
HMMM interesting. when it is stressed it gets hug black bars all over the body interesting!!!
The dealer said it was really rare but i have yet to see a fish that he didnt call it rare!!!:biggrin:
I never got a female, i will go back to see if i can get one at the shop. i am not alowed to buy anymore fish since we are leaving in three weeks. tough world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….