• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto Cacatuoides Super Red

Emma

Hi everyone, I recently got a screaming deal on some apisto cacatuoides super red, they will be going into a 20 gallon tank with some green neon tetras, blue velvet shrimp, and a couple green dragon plecos. The plecos are still very small, and will be in a larger tank once they grow too big. I was wondering if anyone could give me some help sexing them? I was told the 2 larger ones are females and the smaller one is still too young to sex. Additionally, will their tankmates be okay? I have lots of live plants, rocks and driftwood in the tank, and will be adding some terra cotta caves. I think they have a good amount of hiding and spawning spaces (if I have a male). Their water parameters are good, pH 7, and temperature 77-78. Here are pictures of them all in their very very temporary tank, I just wanted to make sure their bigger tank was set up exactly how they would like. Please give me any tips!
IMG_0933.PNG
IMG_0934.PNG
IMG_0935.PNG

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
The two yellow ones are definitely female, I'm not sure about the third one, or even if it is a A. cacatuoides, some-one else will know.

In terms of the tank set-up you just wants as much cover as possible, and plenty of caves. I have heavily planted tanks (below), but the cover can be leaf litter and wood etc.

dicrossus_clup1_resize-jpg.46046

cheers Darrel

Emma

Darrel, thank you for the response! Could you tell they are female because they are yellow? What do you use for leaf litter? I have heard that I can buy cattappa or indian almond leaves, but I have also heard that they are okay with oak leaves, which is what it looks like you have in that tank.

gerald

5 Year Member
Does that darkening on the rear part of the body (on the two yellow fish) mean anything? I have not kept cacatuoides, but have had other dwarf cichlids where partial darkening of the body was a precursor (or early symptom?) of health issues that showed up several weeks later. Welcome Emma and good luck with them!

Emma

Does that darkening on the rear part of the body (on the two yellow fish) mean anything? I have not kept cacatuoides, but have had other dwarf cichlids where partial darkening of the body was a precursor (or early symptom?) of health issues that showed up several weeks later. Welcome Emma and good luck with them!

Oh man, I hope its not an early symptom! Do you know what your fish had? Maybe I can prevent it from happening, if it is indeed a sign of an illness. Thanks! :)

gerald

5 Year Member
I'm not sure what problems mine had, and the fancy domesticated strains of dwarf cichlids have goofy pigment anyway, so it may not have anything to do with stress or disease in your fish. That's why I asked about cacatuoides -- maybe some of our local experts will chime in. Anyway, keeping their water clean and warm, with growing plants and a diverse diet including some live food, should hopefully help their immune systems deal with whatever stress issues they might have been through before you got them. Do you know if they're from a local breeder?

Emma

I'm not sure what problems mine had, and the fancy domesticated strains of dwarf cichlids have goofy pigment anyway, so it may not have anything to do with stress or disease in your fish. That's why I asked about cacatuoides -- maybe some of our local experts will chime in. Anyway, keeping their water clean and warm, with growing plants and a diverse diet including some live food, should hopefully help their immune systems deal with whatever stress issues they might have been through before you got them. Do you know if they're from a local breeder?

I will do that! I give them flake food and frozen blood worms right now. I will try to get some live food too. I am not sure if the person was a breeder, it sounded like he just enjoyed having them, and they ended up having little babies. He was moving so he had to downsize his collection.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Darrel, thank you for the response! Could you tell they are female because they are yellow? What do you use for leaf litter? I have heard that I can buy cattappa or indian almond leaves, but I have also heard that they are okay with oak leaves, which is what it looks like you have in that tank.
It is the yellow colour and particularly the <"black leading edge to the ventral fins">. The colured fins are more what you would have expected with a male in the past, but selective breeding has bred females with coloured fins. You can also see that the the front spines on the dorsal fins aren't elongated.
I have heard that I can buy cattappa or indian almond leaves, but I have also heard that they are okay with oak leaves, which is what it looks like you have in that tank.
I mainly use Oak (Quercus spp.) because there are plenty of Oak trees where I work. Other leaves can be used IAL or Beech (Fagus), Camellia etc.

Have a look at <"best plants">.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….