• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New acquisition for the A. cacatuoide community tank

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I´ve a community tank for the A. cacatuoide and I bought 5 individuals of this beauties which will share cacatuoide´s tank.

Otocincluscocama002.jpg

Otocincluscocama004.jpg

They´re Otocinclus cocama and I paid U$S 12 for each directly from the importer.

georgedv

5 Year Member
I have had problems keeping more then five in tanks 29gal and up. They just die. I feed spirulina tabs, flakes or frozen cube once a day...I watch the food sink (always in the same corner). Most of the time I an see them eating there.

They are not territorial to compete with the dwarfs in the tank. I have not been able to figure it out.

g

cageman

5 Year Member
I always make sure there is some Courgette/Zuccini or Cucumber for them to snack on.
They really appreciate it. In the beginning there were two losses, all the rest is still swimming and happy.
The tank is 150L.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Otocinclus and A. cacatuoides

Hi all,
I'm interested in the Apistogramma cacatuoides killing your Otocinclus. I've kept them together for several years, and the Apistogrammas totally ignore the Otocinclus (probably O. mariae), the only time I've ever seen them interact is when a female has free-swimming fry in a pit under some bog-wood etc and if the Otocinclus are resting within the pit, the female will peck at them till they move. It's not a very "fish on fish" interaction, its more in the way she picks up bits of grit and MTS and spits them (at the boundary of the pit).

The Otocinclus have also successfully spawned and raised fry in the tank with both A. cacatuoides and Black Neon Tetra "dithers". One thing I have found is that they are now entirely nocturnal, and do relatively little leaf or glass cleaning.

I've managed to keep the same 4 Ottos in a 60 litre tank for several years.
I think its because I keep a very weedy tank, with lots of cover and I tend to ignore the algae and mulm. Like Cagemans they always have a slice of either cucumber or courgette available (embedded with "spirulina rich" plec pellets), and after lights out they will be feeding on it every every night.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….