• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Neons spawned - one caviar buffet coming right up!

Eva32181

5 Year Member
I mentioned this to Neil in my last message to him and he said I should post it here. When I woke up this morning (well it was one in the afternoon, actually, but morning for me) and took a look at my fish tank my neons were getting cozy in the cabomba. I don't know why, they just felt like it I guess, being Mother's Day and all.

Tank was about 6.8, 80F, and they were spawning in the corner where I have the CO2 reactor, probably a very acidic area. I had done my usual Saturday 20% water change the night before, nothing special. I feed them flake food.

That area is full of cabomba, and the substrate below is covered with a layer of peat, so some eggs might make it. The little guys were eating up the eggs as fast as they laid them, like vaccuum cleaners. Not all twenty of them were involved, maybe just six or so. It seemed like pairs were trading partners as other males came to break things up. If I hadn't've seen them spawning, I would never have known it - those eggs are like tiny grains of salt.

Neil

Eva,
That is very cool. Breeding neons is a rare event, but raising fry is almost unheard of. As far as I know, the water has to be very soft and acidic and the fry can only eat infusoria or something along that line for a while. I even recall something about exposure to light renders the eggs infertile. However, I really don't know! Maybe someone with a little more knowledge or experience with tetras will chime in about this. I do know that, if your neons are breeding, your water conditions must be good and the Dwarfs that you keep in there should be very happy.
Neil

Matthew Clark

5 Year Member
Neon eggs are indeed light sensitive.

Like Neil said, if you want a shot at raising the fry, you're going to need almost 100% RO water filtered over peat. pH should definetly be below six; i would even say it wouldn't hurt to push it below 5.

Matthew Clark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….