• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEEd HELP German rams lost color after laying eggs

Lucasalc46

hello all. My tank currently has ick from a group of cardinal tetras that bought. I’m treating them with QuICK cure and I’m trying to get the temp up but won’t gets very variable above 84 degrees and isn’t constant. The tank is currently at 82-83

My female ram(didn’t think she was big enough to be breeding, and is a lot smaller than male) layed her eggs while this is happen and after that she started acting speratic and lost color all color. Color came back then was lost again.(happened in span of five minutes.)

Also, checkerboards got hostile and began to fight and locked jaws.(could be regular behavior since they are fighting over food source) and two other checkerboards had the dark squares messed up, I don’t know if it was in a sort of line or just color loss. Is that a result of breeding or stress?

I’m wondering what’s going on with the fish and what may be causeing this? Sorry for the long question.

Thanks!

yukondog

5 Year Member
I take this is all in one tank? I've had that happen to my rams, with the Ick and checkerboards fighting it could be stress, do you have another tank you can put the other fish in?
How big is your tank?
Have you tested your water?

GPistos

5 Year Member
This happened to my rams a years ago. this is due stress, new fish, going into labor, ick and change in water temps means less oxygen too. You mentioned that temps are not constant. What is the reason. Check your ppm immediately because of the chemical you use for ick treatment. Do not use chemicals for ick treatment. avoid as much as possible. Raise the temp and put the lights off for minimum 3 days and start adding salt, one tablespoon per 10 gallon. and do everyday water change. and make sure when adding new water is well oxygenated and is at same temperature. I suggest you do in same tank as the tank is already affected, so moving into new tank will carry over the contamination. Use all hygiene and clean after every change of water. Use garlic guard or any natural remedy to improve your fish gills system, this builts their immune. I hope your fish becomes all well!
keep us posted.

Lucasalc46

Thanks guys, my ick is over now but I my cardinals are dying for some reason. I don’t know what it is, but it seems internal. There is one cardinal with black cycsts but it seem like that isn’t doing anything. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks

GPistos

5 Year Member
separate the tank mates immediately. Which type of cardinals do you have ? can you post a image of it.
Use high oxygenated water only and live food dipped in garlic liquid. you may have to treat your all fish at the same time because this internal parasite may have been passed over it is planted tank.

Which kind of filtration do you have? we will do it in this manner, that everything is clear step by step.

Lucasalc46

They are regular cardinal tetras
Can’t post a photo yet
My quarantine tank is getting setup so once it’s setup I will
It’s an aqua clear and is a planted tank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….