• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Neat ideas for 10 gallon

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good ideas for a 10 gallon tank. I think I will move my fish into my 25 gallon tank, because my 10 g is getting swamped with black hair algae. It does not make much sense to add SAEs to it - this space would be too small, and I do not want any mollies or swordfish in it.
I am looking for something that does not require much maintenance and would be pretty stable. Paludaruim comes to mind, but the tank might be too small for it.
My other thought was to convert it to a stony biotope and put in couple of jilies or something (again might be too small).
In other words, goldfish would be a good example of what I want, but please, not the goldfish. Is there a dwarf cichlid (pair?) that would do well in a 10 gallon low maintenance tank with stones and slates?
Suggestions???

Eva32181

5 Year Member
A lot of people use ten gallon tanks as dwarf cichlid breeding tanks. I have one with a pair of Borellii in it - and about seven to ten fry! If I had an extra ten gallon tank laying around I would make it a breeding tank.

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
A good idea

Thanks, that's a good idea, but I have a breeding tank for that already. Anything else?

Neil

There are numerous biotope tanks that you could setup with a ten. The rck tank that you suggest with julies would probably be interesting. Or maybe a tank with some rock in the back and numerous shells for a lamp species. You could even get a bunch of leave and cover the bottom. Put a few plants or maybe some rootwood in there and you have an Apistos heaven. You could also do a tank with a lot of rootwood and make it look like the base of a tree. If you want plants, you can use Java moss and Java fern. With min. light this would be nice.

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Any links

Does anyone have any links for pictures of these biotopes on the internet. Also, I was thinking that rock tank with julies would be too small for them.. I've read that they need at least a meter of space.

Neil

I have read that most species of apisto need a meter of tank too, but many of us in this forum use substantially less. I have seen Julies being bred in a ten. However, the bigger the tank, the better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….