• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis splendens WC

Ekona

5 Year Member
A first look at a wild pair of N. splendens I got in today. Still in the shipping bag as I know these are shy and I wanted to get a few pics before I let them disappear into their 20 L tank. I got these from Wetspot. They do appear to be the correct species and a definite pair. They apparently also have wild N. teugelsi and Hemichromis sp. Moanda in stock as well. Add Wetspot as a good source for apistos and westies.

2c0b.jpg

n3vnx.jpg

lwlp.jpg

awa2.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Wow those have the best color I've ever seen (making me wonder if I have ever seen real splendens). I don't recall seeing those dark body bands on females; is that just a fright pattern? Hope you can get them breeding and spread them around.

Ekona

5 Year Member
Gerald, I thought you might be interested in this thread, as I know you were working with Teugelsi as one point. When I saw the listing for N. splendens on Wetspot, I did a google search. I found recent (ie June 2014) posts of photos and videos of that species, so figured a recent shipment had been exported from the Congo. I went ahead and ordered a pair. The fish that came in match exactly the more reliable documented descriptions and photos etc. for N. splendens. I know I've never seen this species before and I'm wondering if this particular form has been imported to the U.S. recently, if at all. The color on these is quite nice. I would think the dark bands on the female are, indeed, fright coloration, as they disappear when she appears to be less stressed and just exploring around.

I have the pair set up in a 20L with moderate current (as I believe these are a rheophilic species) and LOTS of sheltering places in the form of coconut caves, magnolia leaves and clay apisto huts, all over fine sand. Also clumps of java moss. The temp is 77F, pH of 7.0 and TDS of ~200pm. I'm going to lower pH gradually to about 6.5. And I will attempt to breed these, most certainly. They are already taking quality frozen which is good. If I'm successful you will be the first to get a pair ;)

gerald

5 Year Member
I will send vibes for prolific breeding & good parenting your way :D
When you get overrun with fry I'd be glad to raise up a batch.
My only West African cichlids currently are some geriatric P. pulcher.

Ekona

5 Year Member
I will send vibes for prolific breeding & good parenting your way :D
When you get overrun with fry I'd be glad to raise up a batch.
My only West African cichlids currently are some geriatric P. pulcher.
PM sent to you.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Did you get a pair of something from WS? If so, what?

Not directly, but yes I got a pair of Enigmatochromis lucanusi in from our local little store which have been on the wish list for quite some time. I assume they got them from Wetspot's wholesale division, though at slightly less than what Wetspot is listing them for on Aquabid at ... plus no shipping. :D

gerald

5 Year Member
Here's a recently uploaded video by Jedi Yakekuso (Japanese) of about 15 to 20 "Nanochromis splendens" (I'm assuming wild-caught). Some look just like Ekona's fish, but there's a LOT of variability among them. I wonder if they are all one variable species, or maybe some N. teugelsi are mixed in. I left him a message on youtube asking whether he has any collecting location info.
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuMDKwxN0ac

Ekona

5 Year Member
Not directly, but yes I got a pair of Enigmatochromis lucanusi in from our local little store which have been on the wish list for quite some time. I assume they got them from Wetspot's wholesale division, though at slightly less than what Wetspot is listing them for on Aquabid at ... plus no shipping. :D
Yep, that's a great species to work with - good luck with them and, man are you lucky!!:D:D

Ekona

5 Year Member
Here's a recently uploaded video by Jedi Yakekuso (Japanese) of about 15 to 20 "Nanochromis splendens" (I'm assuming wild-caught). Some look just like Ekona's fish, but there's a LOT of variability among them. I wonder if they are all one variable species, or maybe some N. teugelsi are mixed in. I left him a message on youtube asking whether he has any collecting location info.
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuMDKwxN0ac
That is one of the videos I saw which suggested a recent export form the Congo. Looks to me like all splendens - males with highly patterned caudal fins and yellow dorsals, females with non-patterned caudals and orange dorsal fins - at least from what I can see. Could be some Teuggies mixed in there tho?

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Yep, that's a great species to work with - good luck with them and, man are you lucky!!:D:D

Yes, it is nice being this close that I can just have the LFS order from them. On the flip side, we usually have to try and put together group buys to order from the east coast from say Rapps so I wager it all balances out.

I probably would have bypassed the bluefins for these beauties though had this happened a month ago. :D

Ekona

5 Year Member
They are nice and finally starting to become a little more adventuresome in coming out of hiding. Adding some other small cichlids has helped. I must say I find both old and new world dwarf cichlids equally interesting, colorful and fun to keep :) - no clear winner for me in that regard. But I am finding the nano's to be a bit to boisterous for the smaller apistos in with them and I may have to separate them.

gerald

5 Year Member
I'm excited about getting this pair! Anybody else in NC/SC/VA interested in Dave's A. mendezi pair or his Chromaphyosemions? He can mail them with my splendens and I can hold them until the Raleigh Aquar Soc auction on Sep 14 if you're coming to that event.

Pisces 56

Wow, gerald! Did you ever get lucky! Ekona, I wanted to tell you what stunning fish you got - guess I should tell gerald now! Congrats, gerald! I saw them and was even thinking of getting some, but I won't. I think they'd be too hard for me to care for, at least at this point.

Ekona

5 Year Member
They will be in good hands with Gerald!. I liked them, too, but just did not have the tank space to give them their own. I forgot that some species of Nanochromis can be quite rambunctious!

gerald

5 Year Member
They arrived in good condition this morning. Will do my best to breed and raise fry to spread around among all the Westie fans here. If anybody hears about other folks in USA breeding "true splendens" please let them know about me and vice versa so we can swap fry and have non-sibling pairs to distribute.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….