1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nannostomus mortenthaleri

Discussion in 'South American Tank Mates' started by chris1805, Oct 8, 2018.

1. chris1805

chris1805 Active Member

I have been thinking about buying 6 of these. They will live in my 60x40x60cm tank with 6 nannostomus eques and a pair of Apistogramma sp. D10. Would my tank be big enough to house these fish or would they need a bigger tank?
  2. Drayden Farci

Drayden Farci Active Member

I think it will work, but N. mortenthaleri are more aggressive than N. eques and there may be sparring between conspecifics and species. Worst case you can remove the N. eques and that should leave plenty of space in my opinion.
  3. chris1805

chris1805 Active Member

Would you consider them to be a sensitive fish?
  4. gerald

gerald Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I found them to be hardy and easy to care for, but surprisingly aggressive toward each other, for a pencilfish.
  5. Drayden Farci

Drayden Farci Active Member

They are sensitive to shipping, certainly. That's partly why they are so freaking expensive.
  6. CharlyBrown

CharlyBrown New Member 5 Year Member

My experience is different: I bought several times additional N.eques to have a group of 6 to 8, but after a while always only two survive. Again and again. With N. mortenthaleri I have no similar experience and I didn't observe aggressiveness within the group.
  7. CharlyBrown

CharlyBrown New Member 5 Year Member

My experience is different: I bought several times additional N.eques to have a group of 6 to 8, but after a while always only two survive. Again and again. With N. mortenthaleri I have no similar experience and I didn't observe aggressiveness within the group.
  8. Ade205

Ade205 Active Member

I've a group of 7 N. Mortenthaleri in with just a pair of A. Agassizii and have found them very easy to care for. Had them well over a year without issue and although they seem to spar a little more enthusiastically than other Nannostromus species I've kept, I haven't really seen what I'd call aggression in my experience.

Ade.
  9. Ade205

Ade205 Active Member

While on the topic of this species, has anybody had any luck spawing and rearing them?

Ade.
  10. 3ze

3ze New Member 5 Year Member

I've been keeping a group of 6 (started 10) for a year now and kept a group of 12 (started 15) before.
    I find them more aggressive then the N. marginatus I had before, but less then my Copella. I find them as active as my H. margitae, a bit territorial that is.
    I didn't breed them (bred N. marginatus easily), but met someone who did.