• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nanacara anomala adaptability ?

anewbie

For those who have kept this species i want to ask your view on it's ability to adapt relative to other dwarf cicihld you've kept. I don't like to use the term 'smart' with fishes but this fish seems much more able to change its behavior depending on what it learns over time; where as most other species i've kept (which is not a lot but some) seem to always do pretty much the same behavior. A very minor example is the bottom of a community 29 (ember tetra, cory, pleco) that has a pair of nanncara anomal; she first tried laying eggs low but that didn't go super well; so the next time she laid them near the top of the tank (in a leaf) which went a lot better (this is really just a holding aquarium till i move next month; and given that she is a bit of a fire cracker i want to put them some place more appropriate). This is a relatively minor adaptability but typical of what i've seen from the species. THe male is also incredibly polite eater (this seems minor ) but when around much smaller fishes instead of barreling into things in its way as it grabs food (which i admit most of my apistogramma do as well as rams); he sort of moves around smaller fishes to take a piece of food (much more deliberate eater); obviously (i think) if he was super hungry he would likely be more aggressive towards food - but his steady state seems to be content with letting others grab food while he picks out a morsal here and there.
-
I guess there are two points to this post:
am i imagining things or is this a distinct property of this species
and
are there other dwarf cichild with similiar adaptbility in the aquarium or more interesting diversity in behavior.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….