• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Name that mouthbrooder!

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Was very pleased to have these guys start breeding! Not the best pics, but great fish none the less! DSC_0570.JPGDSC_0568.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think it is A Kelleri or A Barlowi....but it`s just my guess

Well that about covers every mouthbrooding species (There is a report that A. gibbiceps sometimes mouthbroods, too). I suggest that you look at the female's caudal fin. If the oval or squared off then it is A. barlowi. A. sp. Kelleri females develop two short tips, top & bottom, on a squared off caudal.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Sold to me as kelleri. Mike just to clarify....if the females caudal is oval OR square? I bred barlowi, but that was years ago before they were even described.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rich, the caudal of A. balowi females are usually oval (like A. atahualpa) but can become square on older specimens. Females of A. sp. Kelleri are square and have 2 short tips, top and bottom.

Still haven't seen any A. nijsseni around.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Thanks very much. I'll get a good look (and perhaps a pic) of her caudal this evening. If you are able to get some wild nijsseni into the country I'd be most grateful! If not i do appreciate your thinking of me while you are there!

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Alrighty folks! With the description mike gave, I definately have kelleri! Momma relesed the fry, and I am pleased to say that there are at least 20. Not bad for a mouthbrooding species, especially for the first spawn. I am taking notes and will likely write an article on my experiences. The megaptera, are doing nothing at all......!

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
Update: Mom and fry are doing well. I have a group of 8 and have identified two more pair, and 2 extra males that are astounding! The pair have sectioned off the left one third of a 55 gallon tank. The other fish keep their distance and all is well. At some point I will move the pair and fry to their own tank to see if I can get spawns from the others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….