• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. Multifasciatus - sand

beastije

Hi guys.
I am planning to move my 4 multies to a different tank, but the thing is. In their current tank there is a river sand with the usual granularity. In the other (already running) tank there is a black sand with 1-2 mm granularity. Will that be a problem for multies? The sand has no edges, it is smooth but larger than they have. All the literature says "use sand" but the black one is also marketed and called as "sand"
So now I am not sure. Anyone can advice? Thanks

beastije

Oki, i think I reached the same conclusion. Now on how to get the sand out :) I did a cleanup and boiled the sand not too long ago and even then didn't manage to get everything out. Oh the joys of fishkeeping :)

MacZ

Oki, i think I reached the same conclusion. Now on how to get the sand out :) I did a cleanup and boiled the sand not too long ago and even then didn't manage to get everything out. Oh the joys of fishkeeping :)
Suck it out with the hose into a bucket or into a bucket in the bathtub, it can overflow, but the sand stays in the bucket. You might have to add new water to the tank at one point but the technique never failed me.

yukondog

5 Year Member
I use a length of garden hose, it will suck up any sand, small rocks. And like Mac said you may have to add more water to finish, I normally do.

beastije

Guys, since you are so kind in answers, I need some help brainstorming a correct approach.
I have a 360l with the 4 multies and 11 rasboras. I already removed 90% of the shells and 90% of the stones from this fishtank, added more frequent water changes because of some plant issues and cleaned the filter and added filter substrate. This tank is almost ready for the next step in the change process.
However, I have two other and I need to figure out a best approach.

I have a running 54l with the black sand, some vallisneria that is btw also dying and algae (figured out thanks to too low fish and too high wattage of light, I am running way low on the nutrients for the plants). I ordered some fertilizer, new filter (atman head), new plant ( Microsorium pteropus, which I believe will grow slower and wont need that much fertilizer, plus it unlike vallisneria I believe it will survive multies).

I have an empty 40l that will soon have finished place where to be put. In here I want to place the black sand, maybe the vallisneria (will decide later) and the same bioakvacit that was in the 54l. This will house the betta fish that is currently in the 54l, basically most of the content except the anubias will be moved to this smaller fishtank.

Now, what is the best way how to tackle this to not get into a point where I would have two basically fresh fishtanks with its issues.

Do I:
Put the new filter in the 54l and wait few weeks before more changes?
Put the new filter but keep the old sponge, take out the substrate and plants and move them to the 40l? this way I would have old filter with its bacteria in one, and old substrate with its bacteria in other.
Put the new sponge in the largest fishtank to obtain bacteria and if yes, for how long?
Set up the 40l with half old water from 54l and fresh water or half from 54l, half from 360l and no fresh water?
Put the betta in the 40l with the substrate move or keep it in the 54l if I remove the substrate from there?

Not sure why is it so hard for me to figure out the best approach but it is.

Thanks

MacZ

Set up the 40l with half old water from 54l and fresh water or half from 54l, half from 360l and no fresh water?

I have no idea what exactly you want from us and I have the suspicion you are overcomplicating things (hence I can't really follow), but I can tell you: The water itself generally has a very low bacteria count, as they live predominantly in the substrate, filtermedia and on surfaces. So at least the bit I quoted is not worth the question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….