• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My neons are dead

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Yesterday I've found out that half of my neons is dead, my water quality is good, it is veery strange. Any ideas what could've caused it?

aspen

5 Year Member
check all of yuor other neons for ragged fins, esp tail and 'adipose' (the fin in front of the tail, on the top) if it is agression from another fish, they will often fin' them first to slow them down. do you have any fish like drwarfs or other cichlids go into breeding mode lately? if not agression, i would be hard pressed to figure out how an established group would all die so quickly. they are not the hardiest of fish, and i have found they will die one by one, unless there is a serious problem with your water.

rick

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
Here's what I have

I have a pair of apisto cacatuoides, 3 SAEs (as of yesterday 2, I found the other one dead!!!), no neons in the tank right now - I had 10, but now I have 3 and they are in my quarantine, 2 guppies and 3 corys.
Fish do not show any signs of disease, water quality is good, there are no ripped fins. Neons, however had some itch (only 2 of them), I figured it is caused by stress of some sort.

Charlotte

5 Year Member
Have you added ANY medication or absolutely anything out of the ordinary to the tank during about the 7-10 days prior to when they died? What about your water change schedule?

Any medicine I have ever used to try to treat intestinal parasites has made my neons turn pale in their red color, some got a little ick, and then dropped dead within about 5 days.

DigitalBoy

5 Year Member
No

No, I have not put any medicine in the tank for months, and I also did regular water changes about 30-40% every 2 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….