1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first Apistos.. A. Ortegai?

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by CyberCoyote, Apr 8, 2019.

1. CyberCoyote

CyberCoyote New Member

Hi all. I picked these guys(?) up yesterday, they were sold as Agassizi but someone much more experienced than me on facebook identified them as A. Ortegai. The LFS guy tried to pick out a male and female. There was one very yellow one in the tank I thought was definitely a female, but the most male looking one was chasing her away and keeping this other one close by.

I have them in a 40 breeder with a dozen green neons, 14 bloodfins, a very young and active bristle nose and 4 bronze corydoras. I know corys and apistos together seem frowned upon but they came in from my 10 gallon guppy tank and were too cramped in there.

DO they appear to be Ortegai? After it was mentioned I did find some strikingly similar images to these juveniles online that made this sound accurate. As far as sexing them, they really both look male to me although one has more yellow in the face than the other.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

No, it is not A. ortegai. It does not show the double caudal spot that is diagnostic of this species. It appears to be a eunotus-complex species, possibly a cruzi-like form related to A. sp. Nanay/Melgar.
    dw1305 and CyberCoyote like this.
  3. Frank_H

Frank_H Active Member

I agree with Mike, it might be a cruzi-like form. But imo it might also be a macmasteri-complex species. Can you show some more photos of your fish CyberCoyote, preferably in different moods?
  4. CyberCoyote

CyberCoyote New Member

I'll pull out the photo gear tomorrow and see what I can capture! Appreciate all the expertise!
  5. CyberCoyote

CyberCoyote New Member

Turns out nice camera without a macro lens<phone camera.

First the larger one.

Attached Files:

6. CyberCoyote

CyberCoyote New Member

Then the smaller one. It does seem the larger one has claimed the wood side of the tank, the smaller one stays more to the other side. They interact a bit but the larger one bosses the smaller one around.

Attached Files:

7. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    Looks like a male and a female, again I don't know what species they are, or whether they are both the same species.

cheers Darrel
  8. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Frank's right, it looks like a macmasteri-complex species, maybe a wild population.
  9. CyberCoyote

CyberCoyote New Member

Very cool, thanks for the insight! Gives me a better idea how to look after them!