• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first Apisto. A agassizii Double Red

Coursair

I'm not new to fish, but I am new to Apistos. I bought an Aggie Double Red yesterday. I have a well established heavily planted 10g that I put him in. He's looking bright and alert and was hunting for food this morning.

I had hoped for a pair, but was told a 10g would be too small. So he is the only fish currently. There are Snails and some leftover clear Cherry Shrimp. I pulled out a massive amount of Dwarf Sag last week. So still some mulm on the substrate and I'm still cleaning front glass.

I read that beginner species are Cacs and McMasteri...is an Aggie more difficult ? This store has a lot of Apistos. I picked what I thought was a Common and easy variety.

Please let me know your thoughts. I'm willing to get a bigger tank for a pair if he does well for me.

04fd4fe71d1c5d7234307645d5b20601.jpg
6ca795d7806dcd808de57d794237af25.jpg
3befa365a0d3bb47713efa5bad101c6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coursair

I have access to Zero TDS water from my Zero Water dispenser that I got for my Canivorous Plants.

I have access to Peat as well.

Current temp is 75°F
I did a major water change before I acclimated him.

Coursair

I got him a little cave. And he ate a frozen bloodworm for me.
I love this little fish. He's maybe 1.5" currently. I look forward to his adult colors.

00520e89be28eac34bc4bee0fe1864bd.jpg

Please excuse the GSA on the glass. This has been a neglected plant tank for months.

He likes his cave
233189414ea41cca6686848fa8224958.jpg

He appreciates the small side exit as well
83dfa05c11322b23e67accf8dc65338c.jpg

My Crypts will start coloring up now that I weeded back the Dwarf Sag. I left a big clump of Suswassertag in so he has lots of plants and wood to duck behind.

This tank used to be my Shrimp tank
It looked like this
0d34a635a38694df162f8718c47a3b89.jpg

It evolved into this
ca9e038123d30d15886a369a99d599a8.jpg

So I'll work to make it nicer looking, as long as he's also happy.

I'll be adding IAL this weekend. And maybe Peat.

Coursair

Hi,

What do you use as a substrate?

This tank is CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand. I have put in DIY Osmocote Plus Root Caps when I remember and dose on occasion with Thrive all in one.

When it was my main tank and I had more time, the plants were thriving.

This was the same tank when it was heavily stocked.
The mulm is disappearing daily. My Apisto is moving it around, so the filter can grab it. I expect my Crypts to thrive and I may plant some Bacopa or Java Ferns.

This was the tank a week ago. Choked with Dwarf Sag. I never had to feed the Shrimp, there was plenty of micro foods to be found.
8b03840f1c5e439f75885b852c1599d3.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you have experience with fish keeping and can recognize dangerous aggression - and can remove one of the fish if it occurs - your 10 seems to have enough structure to use it as a successful breeding tank. It will require extra work if/when fry appear.

Coursair

Thanks, I've had tanks off and on for years. I used to manage pet stores in the past as well.
I'm pretty good at staring at my fish and seeing behaviors. But not an expert...always more to learn.

Coursair

2595dbe481dc8cae2e542b915f9eb467.jpg

He’s doing well. He’ll now eat small pellets as well as frozen Brine. I upgraded his heater to a Cobalt Neo-Therm. Much smaller and better looking, plus temp staying stable.

Weekly PWCs with 1/2 Tap 1/2 RO and Prime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….