• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My BW/CW 50 gallon tank

tompoz

Glad you guys like it. In this tank I currently have a bit of a crowd:
Pair of M. ramirezi
1+2 of A. agassizi Flamenco
9 Axelrodia riesei
11 Hyphessobrycon amadae
11 Paracheirodon simulans
5 Corydoras hastatus
5 Corydoras pygmaeus
5 Otocinclus affinis
2 Loricaria red

Current pic:
dsc01850ft.jpg

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I like the dark / light contrast on this tank a lot. Gives me some ideas to try on a few of my own tanks. Very nice.

tompoz

The tank has "densed up" a bit. Ramirezi are out, A. sp. Papagei took over.
Picture was taken few days ago, now it is even busier with plants.

dsc02207c.jpg

tompoz

It looks like agassizii are breeding - male guards surroundings of a big mossy root while female is constantly in and out of it. Male Papagei who has been swimming around the whole tank now sticks to it's other side.

ApistoNerd23

Tom,

I gotta say, this is one of my favorite tanks of all time. Reminds me so perfectly of South American underwater fish videos from Aquanet.tv or Freshwater Natural Aquariums.

Can you post more details about your setup? Lighting, filtration, etc.

I think I see Frogbit and Pennywort and Swords in there? Is that right?

Stunning tank. Well done!

tompoz

Thanks. All I wanted was to have a piece of Amazonia in my living room and it seems I made it. Not so lucky with fish, though.

The setup is 48"x16"x16" tank with OptiWhite front.
Lighting: 48" 16W LED tube and 24" 24W fluorescent tube.
Filtration: Eheim 2224.
Substrate: sand + aqua substrate where the big plants are.

Concerning plants, I am not that good with them - put in what I like and what is close to biotope / water parameters.
Basically some anubias, cryptocorynes, hydrocotyle, echinodorus, vallisneria nana, pistia, microsorium, java and pheonix moss.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
The light and dark areas of the tank contrast really well. How long do you leave your lights on? Again, looks like very little algae growth. What are the floating plants that appear to be sending down roots?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
What are the floating plants that appear to be sending down roots?
You'll have to wait for Tompoz to confirm, but the root architecture makes me confident that the the floaters are Pistia stratiotes, aka Water Lettuce or Nile Cabbage. It is common in S. America, and you can see it in some of Tom C's journals.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….