• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My apistogramma just laid eggs for the first time

fyrefish

I just came home and fed my apistos, the female was hiding in a crevice so I checked and boom eggs. I believe they are not fertilized though (fertilized eggs are pinkish-brown right?), they are also first time parents (as far as I know). I doubt any fry will come from it, but I'm just surprised they laid at all in this tank. The tank is quite dirty, because I am planning to move them to the bigger tank soon, but the filter isn't even going at the moment (waiting for spare parts to arrive). I don't think there will be fry as the female isn't super attentive to them, as I've heard apistos are, probably because this is their first time. Excited they laid though, does this mean they are paired?

Attachments

• IMG20220209184556.jpg
    IMG20220209184556.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apisto eggs can vary in color depending on diet, anywhere from bright red to green to white. If the eggs aren't fuzzy with fungus they could be viable. Also a "quite dirty" tank might not be unhealthy. You should see what they live in in the wild.

fyrefish

I didn't know that, thats interesting. Also, by dirty I meant with algae, not waste. There's kinda an algae carpet. To be honest it kind of cool, You can see it producing oxygen sometimes.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….