• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My A.hongsloi male, which type?

teddo10

5 Year Member
It's german bred.
35598534.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just a domestic hongsloi. It appears to have some deformed scales - an indication of 2 closely related species being crossed together. The wild colorful Rotstrich form of A. hongsloi does not show red markings on the face, only the red streak at the base of the anal fin & the red patch at the base of the caudal fin. There are, however, several forms (species?) related to A. hongsloi that have red markings on the face (e.g. A. cf. honglsoi Capanaparo & A. cf. honglsoi Maripa). Your fish & most other very red hongsloi are probably crosses of 2 or more of these forms. Although these fish are probably hybrids, it certainly does not make them less desirable as ornamental aquarium fish.

teddo10

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike.
Could you point me to some cyberspace where I can see the different types?
Ed

JG

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
Just a domestic hongsloi. It appears to have some deformed scales - an indication of 2 closely related species being crossed together. The wild colorful Rotstrich form of A. hongsloi does not show red markings on the face, only the red streak at the base of the anal fin & the red patch at the base of the caudal fin.
Interesting looking fish. I was checking Linke's book for a comparison to the one you posted as I've never kept this particular fish. Mike is definitely right when he mentionned the red streaks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ed,

Koslowski's 2002 book "Die Buntbarsche Amerikas, Band 2 Apistogramma & Co." pictures at least 6 different forms related to the type A. hongsloi. FYI according to collector of the type material, in life these fish had no red markings!

teddo10

5 Year Member
I have South American Dwarf Cichlids from Mayland and Bork,they dont desc'ribe those types.
I will search those books. Thanks,
Ed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apistokeeper

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….