• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My 10 gallon Cacatuoides breeding tank log

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Hope to be able to update this soon with some fry pics - once I tackle the liquid rock water we have here (pH 8 GH 15 kh 8)

Tank is 10 gallons with floating bacopa monnieri, 3 coconut caves and two flower pot pieces with leaf litter and alder cones. Temp is 28 c with cold water used for changes.

Excuse my bad photography skills I broke my camera and only have a cheap phone camera for now.

uploadfromtaptalk1407257574376.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407257593060.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407257612674.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407257630824.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1407257639521.jpg

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Thanks - yes he always likes a good nose at whatever you are doing near the tanks :) if I sit and look in they will both come and try to stare me out :)

The female was born in this tank a year ago so will be nice to get a second generation of home bred fish - she was from an orange flash spawn I have since lost the male, this male was shop bought. I hope to have healthier fry from mixing the gene pool a little as I have bred from this male before but I bought him along with a female (I assume siblings) and only kept one fish as the others would all "belly swim" along the sand and were not the healthiest looking of specimens.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
IMG_9349.jpg
Also thought I would share this pic - this is the same male when I got him in October last year :)

ErtyJr

Sad to hear no babies yet but I'm sure if they are courting they will get it figured out! Also I thought it was funny I looked at the media page and said hey that's grumpy!

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Don't take any advice from me - still waiting on a spawn! Typical as I have bred several times in community setup!

davidjp1982

Donating Member
The general idea is adequate hiding spots, oak branches or driftwood, oak beech or Indian almond leaves, sand substrate, gentle flow, temp from 26 to 28 with lots of cold water changes, coconut caves, subdued lighting and a romantic CD to play near tank. Also lots of good live food like grindal worms and daphnia (I can send you some of these if you want) also I use alder cones to get blackwater (can also send some if you can't locate any).

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'd put a backing on the outside of the tank, it will mean that there are darker areas at the back of the tank where the fish will feel more secure. I usually cover the back and one side.

You can use any dark coloured, opaque object, a black bin bag cut to size and fastened on to teh outside of the glass with cooking oil is an option, you can smooth out any bubbles with an old credit card.

I like dark green card (or paint), and I just duck tape the card to a polystyrene sheet and fit that to the outside of the tank.

cheers Darrel

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Hi all,
I'd put a backing on the outside of the tank, it will mean that there are darker areas at the back of the tank where the fish will feel more secure. I usually cover the back and one side.

You can use any dark coloured, opaque object, a black bin bag cut to size and fastened on to teh outside of the glass with cooking oil is an option, you can smooth out any bubbles with an old credit card.

I like dark green card (or paint), and I just duck tape the card to a polystyrene sheet and fit that to the outside of the tank.

cheers Darrel
Hi mate its funny you mention that as its something that was bugging me being a small tank it looks very "exposed" from all sides. You are very posh with your card solution, I've always used black binliner :) also thanks again for the frogbit, in this low flow tank I already have nice long 6 inch roots they are really thriving.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
"Hi mate its funny you mention that as its something that was bugging me being a small tank it looks very "exposed" from all sides. You are very posh with your card solution, I've always used black binliner :) also thanks again for the frogbit, in this low flow tank I already have nice long 6 inch roots they are really thriving."

I partially have polystyrene for insulation, other than that I think a black bin liner works pretty well.

I always have loads of spare plants, I'd much rather they went to people rather than just throwing them away.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….