• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing A.cacatuoides and A.borellii

Madchester313

Ahh right I see well like you said time will most
Certinly tell I do hope they are borellii as that’s what I intended on getting and all my reading and research has been based around that species. Is I would Feel cheated having a blue steel. Isn’t that fish a hybrid. I read the other post on here regarding the steel blue with Darrel I.d page.

I will try and get a clearly photo and then wait it out until they get a little larger.

Madchester313

68C56555-EB89-4121-B950-A71B569D8FA7.jpeg
840C105D-106B-4654-B432-AB14CCC31FCC.jpeg
Hi mike

Sorry about the picture quality it was just a quick shot before I left to go to work. I have now take. A better shot of the larger fish during feeding. I have been reading a few pages and one today where Amanda had managed to breed some steel blue. Very interesting stuff. If mine do turn out to be steel
Blue I will move to one of the chats regarding this species.

Thanks for your advice

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I think they are borellii. You need some-one who is better at ID and sexing, but if the top fish retains the black edges to the pelvic fins as it matures it will be a female.

cheers Darrel

Madchester313

Well am glad you both have confirmed it is in fact s borellii as I was gutted. Just need to wait it out and see if it a m/f. I was actually coming to terms with it being a steel blue / blue face I kinda want some now

Thanks

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The truth be told, we really don't know if Steel-blue is a hybrid species or a domestic, color-enhanced, strain of a caetei-complex species. All we do know is that it isn't found in the wild.

Madchester313

Finn you should say that I was googling before reading up on steel blue and I came across a thread where it was suggested it could be a colour morph an the name caetei cake up. It does look increasingly like a caetei. It’s strange how there is no really evidence regarding them.

Blue head is another name used for them right ?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
This fish originally came out of breeders in Asia who only shipped males. German breeders later crossed these Asian males with caetei-complex females to produce offspring sold in Europe and later in North America. Blue-head/Blaukopf and New Blue are other names for the same fish.

Madchester313

That’s interesting so has it been proven there not found in the wild and are inf fact a hybrid. It’s crazy to think a fish just appeared and left every body so stumped.

Yes I have noticed there is a few names for them. Lookingnon google images they do look a lot like the caetei so I can see the simularities

So I think I have a solid male for sure and the other is smaller with small fins. It also seem be going hello on the belly. It has different marking too. My male has a lot blue on the face the other doesn’t. What I find strange is they stay close but not together an the odd time them
Do
Come in contact the what I think is a male kinda chases the other not for long just a second or so which leads me to be confused and think could it be another male. Then other times they will happily sit together or even sit in a big cave or under rocks. There always within a few inches of each other

Happyfins

This fish originally came out of breeders in Asia who only shipped males. German breeders later crossed these Asian males with caetei-complex females to produce offspring sold in Europe and later in North America. Blue-head/Blaukopf and New Blue are other names for the same fish.
Sounds as if it is a hybrid now even if the original males weren't. Surely DNA studies could help here.

Madchester313

You would like to think so wouldn’t you happyfins. I can see how it could have happened but am surprised it hasn’t actually been confirmed with some kind of dna testing

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds as if it is a hybrid now even if the original males weren't. Surely DNA studies could help here.

Not necessarily. It could be a sport of a caetei-complex species. The German breeder might have bred these to specimens of the wild form of the same species. That would be similar to breeding a 3X Red A. cacatuoides to a wild form of cacatuoides.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You would like to think so wouldn’t you happyfins. I can see how it could have happened but am surprised it hasn’t actually been confirmed with some kind of dna testing

I'm not surprised at all. Scientists have no real interest in domestic fish, so won't spend time and money on this. Truth be told, very few apistos species have been tested. Römer has made a very good start, however.

Madchester313

I never thought about it that way mike. Suppose that could have been the case. Sent the wild caught suppose to
Have less colour. Isn’t it like that with a many different domestic Fish.

Well I can see how they don’t want to spend time and money on it either way there here and to be honest I think some of them look kinda Intresting. I would be gutted if mine wasn’t A. Borellii and in fact a steel
Blue. In the same token I would be I trested to
See how it turned Out and got to
See it charctorisms first hand.

So one of mine is definitely bulkier than the other strong blue dots on the face and tiny if blue throughout.

The other smaller small fins less blue. An almost yellow tintge to the belly an side. Anything Eles I should look out for like the black marking to tell the difference.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….