• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Microgeophagus ramirezi: red?

rafael

5 Year Member

Hi.

Or pink

Two photos of our companions of the forum:

abd.jpg

http://tinypic.com/i71yz8.jpg

I am afraid that these M. ramirezi has hormones. What do you think?

At the L.F.S. say that they have this color due to its rich feeding in carotene, but me I do not create it.

Best regards,

Rafael.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I was in a fish shop in Lubbock Texas just yesterday looking for a female german blue ram when boom. There they where I had never seen any like this before and then here today the frist thing I see when i get on here is one just like them. The guy in the shop in Lubbock told me they were dyied that color and sold has a shrimp eater or shell fish fish eatter.

coltiger

5 Year Member
thats horrible, it's bad enough there are hybrids cichlids like parrot fish that are dyed...now they are resorting to Rams...what next? colour inject albino plecos:rolleyes:

coltiger

5 Year Member
Man I just saw one of those today, I told the guy in charge he should not support buying fish like that...but that might be like talking to a brickwall...same store has cacatuoides in with haplochromis ahli species...the poor apistos had there tails all shredded, the one male looked like crap. I'll prolly save them there are only five.

fishgeek

does anyone know whether that is a dyed fish or just a colour morph that has been selected for?

it doesn't look that unnatural to me in colouration
mike?
rafeal ?
anyone

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not know for certain, but these Rams look like Gold Rams that have had the red color intensified - either by selective breeding or artificially (hormones? color food?). Asian produced Gold Rams are well known for being exceptionally delicate & die quickly if the water is not sterile, soft, & acid.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, I may have confused some of you. The first "Red Rams" do look artificially colored. The "Half Red Rams" seem to have their 'natural' colors hightened in some way. Just my opinion.

Seb

5 Year Member
I saw some that looked pink, not to mention really really beautiful, but I felt bad as I guessed they were dyed :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….