• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Masculine female

Hellfishguy

5 Year Member
My female A. cf. ortegai's coloration has become more vivid recently, almost approaching that of the male's. I've had them for almost a year, and they've bred for me, but not for quite some time. Are they past their prime?

RSCN5173.JPG

Apistoguy52

Interesting. Maybe she decided it was time to be a he. Would be super interesting to see what happens if you introduced/forced a juvie female with the old female

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I agree it is interesting. One year old is getting up there in breeding age. 18 months is about as old as I usually lose hope of breeding Apistogramma. As I've mentioned before I consider Apistogramma to be borderline annual Cichlids.
This acquisition of more masculine coloration by a proven female is odd. I know sex changes are common among many reef fish but not so much among neotropical Cichlids. Perhaps A. cf. ortegai have been in the hobby long enough to feel the lash of selective breeding for increased color among the females. I've never personally kept them so I'm just speculating

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillberg

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(