• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or female

Clancey Fritsch

I'm sorry, but the photo is just not good enough to ID the fish.
Here are some better ones. Two pictures are of the female and 1 picture of the Male. The female flairs up a lot and changes from a dirty yellow to a more bright yellow. And the Male is quit aggressive towards her especially during feeding time

Attachments

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Aggies do not 'pair up'. When the female is ready to breed, she will let the male know that she is ready. Until then the male is trying to drive her out of his territory (the entire tank?) in hopes a female that is ready to breed will appear.

mrjbacon

It's commonly accepted that males exhibit a lot of aggression towards females. You might consider trying to obtain one or two more females if you have space. Also, from the pictures it looks like your tank could use a lot more bottom cover. Leaf litter, sticks/twigs, hiding places for the female and such.

Clancey Fritsch

It's commonly accepted that males exhibit a lot of aggression towards females. You might consider trying to obtain one or two more females if you have space. Also, from the pictures it looks like your tank could use a lot more bottom cover. Leaf litter, sticks/twigs, hiding places for the female and such.
Yea I was thinking about doing that just haven't had the time plus I'm thinking about adding more fish and plants so I'm not entirely done with the aquascape