• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male GBR Very Unwell

spinon

Hi Folks,

My adult male GBR is very unwell. Firstly, he had a sunken abdomen. Then, much of his colour faded. He then became very lethargic. I started to suspect an internal parasite problem. After much reading, the evidence suggested Hexamita Intestinalis caused by Spironucleus. I read that food pre-soaked in a 3% Epsom Salts solution is effective against Spironucleus. I've been feeding him on this twice a day for the last two days. This evening, he was unable to take food. Furthermore, there were tiny creatures just behind his left gill operculum. I decided to treat the whole hospital tank with a broad-spectrum treatment called Interpet 'Disease Away'.

Would anyone care to suggest what may be causing this sudden illness?

Thanks in advance.

spinon

Ade205

How long has the fish had a sunken belly?
I've kept and reared thousands of gbr's and sadly hardly ever pulled one back from the sunken belly look. So many imported Rams already hv this look in lfs tanks and is why I always suggest buying locally bred fish if possible.
One solution I've had work for sick Rams like this, though only one or two successes, is to combine eSHa Hexamita with eSHa Gdex as suggested on eSHa's website. I find eSHa products really do work and are only medication I now use for the usual Cichlid issues. I think medicated food probably is best choice for internal parasites so long as diagnosis is accurate, but here in UK those generally are not available.

Really hope your fish pulls through...

Ade.

Ade205

One more thing... I don't know how local you are to me, but if you pass through the Midlands at any time your more than welcome to have a few Rams for free. I have a beautiful batch growing out currently at about 1 inch long, many pairs available which are already spawning.

Ade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….