• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Macmasteri ratio

Spidy

Hi guys, tried searching to find if anyone has answered this but didn't find anything. My question is, what is the ratio of males to females recommended for A. Macmasteri for both community and breeding tanks?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't recommend keeping both sexes of apistos in community tanks. They often cause problems with other members when they decide to breed. Macs are what I call 'casually polygamous'. This means that males will breed with any female who is available (and accepted by the female), but does fine living with just one female. This, of course, varies with tank size and decor.

Spidy

I don't recommend keeping both sexes of apistos in community tanks. They often cause problems with other members when they decide to breed. Macs are what I call 'casually polygamous'. This means that males will breed with any female who is available (and accepted by the female), but does fine living with just one female. This, of course, varies with tank size and decor.
Thanks for the response Mike.
They're in with Discus and Rams, so breeding aggression is the norm. :)
I just hope they're nice to each other. So far so good.

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
My pair of macs were introduced to a tank with a few Rams and they put them in the corner of the tank very quickly. Good luck.

Spidy

My pair of macs were introduced to a tank with a few Rams and they put them in the corner of the tank very quickly. Good luck.

Thanks. I haven't really noticed any more or less aggression than what I normally see from the Rams. They seems to leave them alone. Of course if the Rams are breeding, even the discus are kept to one corner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….