• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Macmasteri behaviour

Happyfins

I have 5 female macmasteri(4cm) that were living happily in a 180 litre tank. finally yesterday I got a male (5cm). Unlike previous cacatuides and agasizzi experiences where both sexes start courting pretty much instantly this time it almost appears the male is not welcomed at all by what appears to be the dominant female. In fact she chases him out of her territory (didn't know she had one till yesterday) 3 other females appear lukewarm. The one that I suspect is lowest on the pecking order wriggles at the male. The single Nannacara anomala male either was curious or enamoured and followed him around the tank all of yesterday without attacking. I changed the decoration around without much change apart from the nanacara who is no longer interested. No significant aggression going on just wanted to share what seems to me curious behaviour. Guess every fish is different

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The male mac is new and 'low man on the totem pole'. It may take him some time to adjust. I suggest a bit a patience. Dominant male macs are what I call 'casually polygamous' as opposed to highly polygamous cacs. Their behavior can be different.

Happyfins

Thanks Mike!
He is settling in and has a corner in which he hangs around with a girl. I suspect he wants the supermodel since he keeps popping over to the other side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….