• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lost Fry

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
Ok need some help.

I continue to get spawns from several types of P. taeniatus and from my Albino Pulcher. The problem is the fry only last about 3-4 weeks, then slowly disappear. I don't see dead fry, I don't see predation.
This has happened in tanks with different types of tank mates. One tank has cherry barbs, another pencil fish, another one line African Tetra, another panda cories.
Any ideas? Tips?

Keith

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Usually by the age of 3 - 4 weeks the fry are not hard to feed. This is a time when water quality starts being affected by the growing fry. You might want to do water changes twice as often as you did before or split the fry between several grow-out tanks.

Randall

5 Year Member
Where are the fry?

Hello Keith,

Your fry could be vamoocing for a myriad of reasons. To cite but a few, firstly, after about 4 weeks or so, parental care ceases, subjecting your fry to predation. Just because you don't witness predation first hand, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't occurring. Also, are you sure that your fry are getting enough food? Are the other fishes in the tanks out competing them come chow time? Finally, how's the water quality? Fry can be more sensitive to water quality than adult fish.

If you'd like to engage in a save the fry program, may I suggest using dedicated spawning tanks (if you aren't already). After about 4 weeks or so, or when parental care ceases, remove the parents and raise the fry separatly. This affords you complete control over the fry, their food intake, and water quality.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I remove my fry while that parents are still actively caring for them. Usually between 3 - 4 weeks. I want the fry large enough to eat a variety of foods, but still be in the 'grouping' phase of behavioral development. If I have very few fry (less than 20) I will start them in an incubator container or net breeder so I can concentrate small amounts of food to them several times a day. I have an advantage in being at home all day in that I can feed letirally once an hour, and often do.

Larger batches of fry will go directly into a ten. When I put fry in a ten the only structure in the tank is the sponge filter and maybe a very small piece of driftwood that the fry can get under. I have also started using a broad, whole catappa leaf in some tanks and really like them. They add tannins and the fry will all congregate under the leaf. I want the fry to stick together in a tight group for as long as possible because I can continue to feed very small amounts of concentrated food to the group. I water change the 10 gallon tanks 30% - 50% a day.

I also had a little salt to the fry water. My breeder taeniatus are maintained and bred in 40 - 60 mS water with 0-1 KH and 6.8 - 7.0 pH. After the fry are in the tens I increase the conductivity to about 200 mS. This is still soft by most comparisons, but I find it easier to maintain water quality and pH in the presence of a lot of fish and food if the hardness is a little higher. When the fry are about two months old I increase the hardness again up to about 400 mS. The only reason for this is that when I send the fish off to new homes the water they are going into is often a lot harder than the 200 mS they are raised in.

All that being said, I have been having problems lately with egg survival with all the kribs other than P. pulcher. I am starting to increase the conductivity a bit to see if maybe I am keeping the water too soft with the breeders. My Apistos and P. pulcher are doing well, but to date I have had three P. sub. 'moanda' clutches and about five P. taeniatus clutches get eaten by teh parents within two days of being laid. One pair of P. taenitaus has done it three times. The only difference between teh P. pulcher tanks and the wild fish's tanks is the conductivity... it is higher (about 200 mS) in the captive strain P. pulcher tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….