• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Europe Looking for Apistogramma Baenschi or Panduro from local breeders

Daneland

Hello Guys
I am looking for Apistogramma Baenschi or Panduro from local UK breeders. There is a very nice guy who sells them but they are imported not bred and I dont want to take any chace of having another camanallus disaster again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hm, an odd comment. The only apistos that I ever had that had camallanus were domestic fish. I guess any fish can contact the parasite if kept in a contaminated tank.

Daneland

My concern is that if fish come from large farms, they will more likely carry parasites. @dw1305 stated that it is very common thing for SE fish farms and E. Europan sources and I think a breeder tank will have only a pair and some dither fish, that will possibly eliminate possibility of camannallus. I mean if parents are infected, possibly they will die before offsprings are large enough to sell and I dont think that a local breeder will be sell knowingly fish come from an infected tank. Perhaps my logic is not great, but thats what I thought,

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Unfortunately my experience has been that SE Asian farmed Apistogramma often have Camallanus infections. It has happened to me once, but I've had a lot of correspondence with other people with infected fish, often asking about <"Levamisole HCl"> after treatment with Flubendazole has proved ineffective.

I assume that the <"flubenol resistant Camallanus"> take longer to become apparent than wild type ones would.

Wild caught fish presumably will carry other internal and external parasutes, but not Camallanus.

cheers Darrel

yukondog

5 Year Member
I dont think that a local breeder will be sell knowingly fish come from an infected tank

I would not put that much trust in people, just because they are a breeder, I guess I have trust issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….