• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Long term pair of A. Agassizii in 18 gallon?

Ad_ii1307

Hey! I would love to keep a pair or A. Agassizii in my 60x35x40. I have heard that it is a suitable tank size however I don't have another tank in the case that they breed or decide to fight. Will they be fine if i provide them with plenty of hiding spots and plants? If not can you suggest another apisto species that fits my situation?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Welcome to Apistogramma.com
Hey! I would love to keep a pair or A. Agassizii in my 60x35x40. I have heard that it is a suitable tank size however I don't have another tank in the case that they breed or decide to fight. Will they be fine if i provide them with plenty of hiding spots and plants? If not can you suggest another apisto species that fits my situation?
Apistogramma borellii might be better. I've kept a pair of Apistogramma agassizii in a tank with those dimensions, but it was extremely heavily planted and had a lot of structure.

It was the tank on the left.
tank_backoflab-jpg.43733

cheers Darrel

Ad_ii1307

I was planning on planting it similar to that but I don’t have any experience with the species so I think I will try out what I’m assuming is the ‘safer option’ and check out the borellii

MacZ

Biggest problem is that A. agassizii (as most Apistogramma) do not form long term pairs. These fish usually only stay together for one spawn in nature, in many cases the male is out of the picture once the eggs are fertilized. Hence keeping a pair, especially in the confinement of a smaller tank, is less appropriate than keeping a single male in a tank your size or a bigger group in a sizeable tank (like 150cm long).

Ad_ii1307

Biggest problem is that A. agassizii (as most Apistogramma) do not form long term pairs. These fish usually only stay together for one spawn in nature, in many cases the male is out of the picture once the eggs are fertilized. Hence keeping a pair, especially in the confinement of a smaller tank, is less appropriate than keeping a single male in a tank your size or a bigger group in a sizeable tank (like 150cm long).
Yes I was doing some research and I found out. Could I possibly keep about a pair of kribensis? I put into the dimensions in a calculator and turns out it’s 22 gallons not 18. I can keep a large storage tub to transfer the fry to once they seperate from their parents but in my experience once they seperate they are large enough to be sold to shops

MacZ

Could I possibly keep about a pair of kribensis?
They reproduce like guppies and will only stop once separated. You won't get rid of the fry because everyone and their grandma unintentionally breeds them. I'd stay clear of them, no shop within 100km would take them off my hands.

I put into the dimensions in a calculator and turns out it’s 22 gallons not 18.
Volume is irrelevant. The dimensions themselves are what matters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….