1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Live Food

Discussion in 'General Dwarf Cichlids' started by Rey82, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Rey82

Rey82 New Member 5 Year Member

I recently purchased some live food cultures which includes grindal worms, vinegar eels, red worms, microworms, walter worms, wingless fruit flies, and also bought daphnia from a different individual. Are these good foods so my apistos can start breeding. Only feed my apistos frozen live food at the moment. Also what would be a good plant food to feed them to balance their omnivorous appetites. Any advice would help.
  2. retro_gk

retro_gk Member 5 Year Member

Grindal worms, microworms, fruit flies and daphnia are all excellent foods for adult/sub-adult fish. The others are great for fry. This is pretty much what i feed my fish.

Red worms will need to be chopped up for most apistos.

For a vegetable component, get a good spirulina flake.
  3. con-man-dan

con-man-dan New Member 5 Year Member

I have not found the vinegar eels to be a great choice for cichlids in general. I have 2 cultures going, and the only thing that every now and then touches them is some of my livebearers, in the tank the eunotus came out of. I found live blood worms to be a great treat. Even with their larger size, the fish gobbled them up with joy. I only know of one place to get them, and its a bit of a drive for you....but if you could hit the shop on the way back to Lone Tree, it would be worth the effort. The shops off I-70 and Brighton BLVD.

Also, I've tried several types of plant based foods....they dont seem to touch it. I had SOME luck with a bulk flake thats krill and spirulina, but it was iffy at best. I can let you know where I got that, as well, if you're interested in giving it a shot

BTW - the viejita are doing great! :wink:
  4. Rey82

Thanks Dan for the advice....the eunotus are doing good as well except that they hide alot even though I have some hornwort at the moment to give them some security. I am going to increase their tank size in a few days once I get my convicts and kribs to new homes. Want to stick with mostly apistos and rams for the moment. I also bought a small amount of almond leaves and try to keep the ph down. I know of another store in the area that sells bloodworms but they stink up my apartment. I have been doing 25% water changes to my apisto tanks.
  5. tjudy

tjudy Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

The Daphnia are one of my favorites. They are especially good if you have to be gome for a few days. You can overfeed them and they will live until the fish find them. I have some fry tanks with afew adults pumping about that the fry (betta fry in this case) cannot eat. I am sure the Daphnia release offspring that the bettas can eat, so it is like having a live food culture in the tank with the fish.
  6. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

OK guys, where are you getting the live bloodworms in Denver? I assume that the I-70/Brighton Blvd shop is Killer Mikes. Where's the other??
  7. Rey82

I got some at Neptunes about five months ago in Highlands Ranch off of C-470 and University...close to the Target.
  8. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

Thanks for the info!
  9. retro_gk

retro_gk Member 5 Year Member

For those interested, here is a method for culturing bloodworms:

Frome here: http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/phpBB2/index.php