• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Light temperature?

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me out. I am thinking about buying a new LED light for my fish tank. I can choose different light temperatures. I am in doubt between 6500K or 5700K. What do you think would represent the best lightning colour for my Apistogramma's?

Thanks in advance.
Christian

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since most apistos live under a jungle canopy, I doubt that it matters much to them. Plants, however, are a different matter. Natural sunlight is around 5500° K. Plants & fish will probably look more 'natural' at this temperature. I've converted most of my rain gutter strip lights 5700°K LEDs. The tanks look better than they did with cool white fluorescent tubes.

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hmm interesting. Thank you for the feedback. I thought i read that 6500K was the optimal for plant growth. I already have 6500K on my other tank, and i like the look, but sometimes it is a bit too bright. When going to 5700K i am affraid it will become too yellow.

@Mike Wise , Do you maybe have a picture of a tank with 5700k lights and that is more or less clear water?

chris1805

5 Year Member
I see. Maybe i should play on safe and order the 6500k, of whic i know that i will like to colour of the lightning. It will turn a bit yellowish by the use of peat anyways.

Bart Hazes

IMO too many people lose sleep over this. Sunlight is about 5500K but in nature water, floating plants, a forest canopy etc all change the spectrum and plants can deal with a broad range. Total amount of light is more relevant than small variations in colour temperature. Most of my tanks use 5000K LEDs, but I would not hesitate to use anything between 4500K and 6500K. My prefered light is actually direct sunlight. Nicest colour and it comes for free.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Some of my tanks are open-top only because I'm too lazy (and cheap) to replace broken tops.:confused: All of my tanks have air-driven filters. Some are sponge filters, but I am slowly changing them to matten types.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….