• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Levamisole

Ambidextrous

Hi all.

After my A. Agassizii suffered with Callamanus I'm concerned for the other fish in the tank. Being in the UK I'm finding it impossible to find Levamisole so I ordered Sera Nematole in hope it will work.

However, I have read many articles that say Callamanus is pretty much resistant to Sera and Levamisole is the only way to go. I have also found articles where peoples fish have suffered from the Sera medication and it also harmed their seemingly healthy fish making them lethargic and / or died.
I know I can't take all I read as gospel, some people may have overdosed or the fish may have had other hidden issues etc, but I'm now concerned that Sera isn't the medication I need and I should be trying to get hold of Levamisole.
I have seen no worms or any distress in any of my fish, and being such a large tank I don't want to harm my beloved finned friends.

So...should I treat the tank "just in case" or should I wait until I see something nasty?

Any help much appreciated.
All the best,
Steve.

MacZ

Levamisole is only available on prescription in the UK, as it's still under the same regulations as in the EU.
I just treated my pair of A. hongsloi effectively and successfully with Sera Nematole three weeks ago. I find it the most reliable med with the least side effects. Worked on cichlids, tetras, otocinclus and corydoras without problems over the years.
The manufacturer prints in the instructions that there can be losses with labyrinthfish, catfish, loaches and certain livebearers and that there can be losses with very young fry. I can't confirm any of this.
It most likely kills shrimp, many snails survive the treatment without issues.
If it should not work, alternatively the JBL product is advised, usually if one of the two doesn't work, the other one will for certain.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Levamisole is only available on prescription in the UK,
You can buy it as a wormer for cage birds in the UK.

Last time I bought it it was as <"Harka-Verm"> and it worked really well against Camallanus. There should be plenty of sellers on Amazon, eBay etc.

Before that I'd tried "Flubenol" (Flubendazole) and that was totally ineffective, but did kill all the snails.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldStype

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….