• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara curviceps

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I have kept both dorsigera and curviceps before. Recently I bought a group of 6 juvenile curviceps to grow out and hopefully get a pair or two from. However I am a little concerned by this group, as I think they may be curviceps cross dorsigera.

Here are some photos.

03.jpg

07.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

The photo's don't really show what concerns me. Namely all fish have a blotch at the base of the caudal fin, even those I think are males. And all fish have vertical bars on the rear half of thier bodies, which I am used to associating with dorsigera, but not curviceps.

Thanks for any help.

Stephan

5 Year Member
Hi,

there is not Laetacara curviceps.
L.curviceps does not have double rear transverse volumes.
The fish show however.
They seem rather L.sp." Bolivien" to be.
These should be L.aff dorsigera.
Are waiting times, which the scientists of a daily say.:wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, Stephan is most likely correct. He has more experience with Laetacara than me. Yes, Stephan means 'cross bands' (Querbanden). In German, 'Band' can mean 'striation, band/stripe, or volume' (like a book volume). He just used the wrong English word. I only hope my German comments on the German dwarf cichlid forum (zbbf) are as understandable as Stephan's are here.:biggrin:

Stephan

5 Year Member
Hallo,
[QUOTE = briztoon; 53615]
Meinst du die Sperre verticle entlang der hinteren Hälfte der Fische [/ quote]
yes.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Thankyou Mike and Stephen.

It was the verticle barring/striations that had me questioning whether they were curviceps or dorsigera in the first place.

Stephen do they look like/resemble the wild form?

I really do like the look of them, however I was concerned that they may be hybrids, as I am currently setting up a small dwarf cichlid breeding setup. I do not want to be breeding any hybridised cichlids.

At 4cm TL a pair has already formed and spawned for the first time, and I am sure I will have a second pair spawn within the next week.

Stephan

5 Year Member
Hallo,

this alleged L.aff dorsigera and/or L.sp." Bolivien" are coloured very variable. They look coloured rather like L.curviceps and few, like L.dorsigera. There are probably little genuine L.curviceps in the Aquaristik. Many photos in the Internet are wrong! I had with Dr.Staeck discussed the Laetacara from Bolivia. He means, on the basis the rear volumes, the number of soft jets in the Dorsale and the sheds of the tail its it L.dorsigera. With a lecture in Switzerland he meant that the Laetacara WF from Bolivia is not L.dorsigera and up to the regulation L.sp." Bolivien" to be called are.

On the side of the DCG the Laetacara from Bolivia is called again L.dorsigera. I think that the L.curviceps is also no L.curviceps there.
http://www.dcg-online.de/noFrames/files/diaLaetacaraDorsigera.html

Here more information about the L.sp."Bolivien".
http://www.cichlidenwelt.de/wbb/thread.php?threadid=12196&hilight=Laetacara+sp+Bolivien

That also L.dorsigera should be according to Dr.Staeck. I do not think that! Here a daily further kinds are determined surely.
http://www.cichlidenwelt.de/wbb/thr...=0&hilight=L+curviceps&hilightuser=598&page=1

In the forum cichlidenwelt many information is located over all Laetacara kinds.:wink:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hope that Stephan doesn't object to my retranslation of his comment (below). He knowledge is too valuable for the information to be misunderstood by the uses of a computer translation tool.

Hallo,

I had with Dr.Staeck discussed the Laetacara from Bolivia. He means, on the basis the rear volumes, the number of soft jets in the Dorsale and the sheds of the tail its it L.dorsigera. With a lecture in Switzerland he meant that the Laetacara WF from Bolivia is not L.dorsigera and up to the regulation L.sp." Bolivien" to be called are.

"I discussed the Laetacara from Bolivia with Dr. Staeck. In his opinion, based on the posterior bands and the number of soft rays in the dorsal fin and scales on the tail, it is L. dorsigera. At a lecture in Switzerland he was of the opinion that the wildcaught Latetacara from Bolivia is not L. dorsigera and according to established rules should be called L. sp. "Bolivien"."

Stephan, I think this is what you mean. Thanks for you input.

briztoon

5 Year Member
*mutters about sneaky aussies*

So I guess sending fry is out of the question then!! *grumbles*

ROTFLMAO,

About as sneaky as someone from south of the Mason-Dixie line living it up in the Great White North.

Anyway, what would you keep the fry in? an empty vegemite jar! Or do you have a tank or three setup now?

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I can't help it that they have better beer up here.

And I'd figure out a way to set up the 38 gallon for those beauties!!! Using closets for clothes is over done after all.

briztoon

5 Year Member
The second pair in the small planted community tank have spawned. Of course they spawned on the piece of driftwood, and right next to the hole in it, that the dominant female agassizii calls home, upsetting the tank dynamics somewhat.

The male is doing a very good job of guarding the eggs, while the female is more interested in eating.
LspBolivien003.jpg

LspBolivien002.jpg

LspBolivien001.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….