• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Krobia Xinguensis

anewbie

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of Krobia Xinguensis. These were recommended to me as a decent community fish in a large tank with a group of 8. I've found a few references to them but they seem to be a newer species that many sites such as seriouslyfish.com does not discuss. My greatest concern is level of aggression and proper care. They would be housed in a very large tank with pleco, random cats docile cats (otto to Platydoras armatulus) larger tetra (black neon, whitefin rosy), angelfishes and a few loaches.

I've seen a few wild ones for sale but not any tank bred ones so not sure if lack of interest in the hobby or difficult to breed.

MacZ

This is the scientific description. The fact that it was first described only in 2012 is a clear indicator, that the species hasn't been in the hobby too long before that and generally doesn't play a role in the trade. This is true for many species.
Also the paper immediately makes clear, that the species was once categorized as a species of the genus Aequidens. I wouldn't be surprised if there is more info to find under that name.
Do you speak any languages besides English? There is a lot of info in German and Portuguese available.

anewbie

I only speak english and I found several sites describing it including this one:
and the one you mentioned. My reading is that this fish is relatively peaceful; not picky about water (as long as it is clean) and readily breeds. Still I've purchased other fishes described as peaceful only to have them turn out to be terrors and while I understand that individual fishes will have different personalities as well as other situations (including breeding) will bring out aggression I've still been a bit surprise how aggressive some 'peaceful' fish have turned out during non-breeding periods. Given the size of this fish I'm mostly looking for confirmation that it is not picky about water parameters and it will actually be relatively docile around the angels; after all I would prefer it not put holes in them....btw my other reading is in the wild they are diminished due to dams on the Rio Xingu.

MacZ

From what I can gather from non-english sources their temperament seems to be very much comparable to keyhole cichlids. And also that there haven't been any wild caughts in the trade in quite a while, but only tankbreds, because the dams may have not only diminshed but extinguished them in the wild.
Hope that helps.

anewbie

I found one store selling them that claims they are wild caught; so if that is accurate they are still in the wild. Oh well that damn is causing a lot of issues; but i'm sure the recent burning of forests will make things worse. I guess that is the nature of people.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
310fishkeeper

Latest profile posts

Hi
my Hongsloi, keep eating their eggs, any help greatly appreciated
CRM is the most practical solution Used for Companies
To build a reputed image in the market by forming strong bonds with their
clients. The CRM software in New Zealand has been in maximum usage because of the
high increase in customer retention and satisfaction rate.
The Shrimp Pimp wrote on fredmir1's profile.
Hi Fred, do you have any apistos for sale? I'm looking for Apistogramma trifasciata. I'm about an hour and a half from Mtl.
geno wrote on Roko's profile.
Apisto dave has a pair for sale .
Doing water changes.