• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Krib Chart

A

Angelman

Can any one post me a Krib fry growing rate chart.
eg 1 week 1cm
2 weeks 2cm

(These are only examples)

Randall

5 Year Member
Krib Growth Rates

Dear Angelman,

Fry growth is not consistantly uniform due to varying factors. Temperature, diet and water quality all have a role. Higher temperatures tend to speed up metabalism which may contributute to faster growth rates; more frequent and/or more nutritious feeding tends to have the same effect; and so does maintaining good water quality. Fry tend to grow faster in cleaner water with low nitrate levels than they do in water with higher nitrate levels, so frequent partial water changes usually have a positive effect on growth.

In Linke and Staeck's African Cichlids I - Cichlids of West Africa, Tetra-Press, there is a fairly extensive discussion of Pelvicachromis pulcher, inclusive of fry development. If you don't already have this book, your local retailer should be able to get it for you.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Neil

Angelman,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Randall is right on here. The growth rates of fish within a closed system (aquarium) can be remarkably diverse. Not only do each of the above mentioned factors play a single role, but the combination of these factors can expedentially increase or decrease the rate of growth . If you have clean water, a varied diet, appropriate temp and water parameters, enough space, etc., you can see remarkable results. But, in general (if there is an "in general" after all that) if you get a 1cm/month growth, I would say that you and the fish are doing very well.[/url]

A

Angelman

OK

Thanks Guys.
I had A pair of Kribs and they spawned. At 3 months they were about 3 cm and I had one of 4cm. Only 6 managed to make it to adult hood. My aquariums were attacked by a parasite called Camallanus worms. The parents also died.

I have a new pair(Pelvicachromis Pulcher). The male is about 10cm and the female 8cm excluding tail. Are these considered oversize ?? :?:

Randall

5 Year Member
Giant Kribs

Dear Angelman,

It sounds like you have some very large Kribs there. Typically, males will grow to 10 cm. TL and females to 7 cm. TL (TL-total length, inclusive of caudal fin or tail).

Do your fish have any distinct turquoise blue coloration just below the eyes and on the gill plate? If so, you may have Pelvicachromis sp. aff. pulcher, an undescribed species commonly called the Giant Krib.

Which ever you have, best of luck with them. Kribs are great little fish.

Randall Kohn

A

Angelman

I'll Check

I'll Check I don't know. My Kribs have distinct large fins.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….