• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Koslowski translation finished!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
After many delays, I have the translation of Koslowski's book "Cichlids of the Americas, v. 2 - Apistogramma & Co." ready for printing. This translation is updated & includes all apisto species and forms published up to June 2006 & their A-numbers. It is 233 pages of text - no photos. I let Ingo Koslowski & Rainer Stawikowski (editor) know that I will only sell it to hobbyists who have the original book or the new Datz book. I will be bringing copies of the translation to the ACA convention. Anyone interested in it can PM me or email me at my home address. Cost will be no more than $25 + postage.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The original book (318 pages long, over 300 color photos, + 20 maps and drawings) is volume 2 of the 3 volume set of "Die Buntbarshe Amerikas" (Cichlids of the Americas). It covers the geophagine dwarf cichlids in the genera Apistogramma, Apistogrammoides, Mikrogeophagus, and Taeniacara (the other dwarf cichlid genera are found in the other 2 books). This book is basically designed with 2 purposes in mind: species identification and habitat data. The identification section goes into describing in general details how to distinguish different closely related fish from each other. Species chapters are split up into species-groups/complexes with all of the closely related (similar looking) forms grouped together with individual sub-chapters descripting each form & where known its distribution, biotope and the water conditions in which it was found in the wild. Biotope & water values are from many of the formost collectors around the world. In fact, this is the only book that has contributions from sources in Europe, North & South America, Japan, and Taiwan. Based on this information, Koslowski assumes that any hobbyist who can simulate the described water conditions can also successfully breed the fish. Koslowski has successfully bred almost all of the form he discusses in the book. For certain hard-to-breed forms he adds additional information. It also has a large section on Apistogramma ethology (behavior, including breeding) so that hobbyist can understand why their fish do what they do.

The table of contents is as follows:
The genus Apistogramma; Division of the genus Apistogramma; Evolution of the pattern of markings; Ethology (including feeding, territorial and breeding behaviors, sex changes, etc.); Ecology; Aquarium Maintenance; Nomenclature (how you go about describing a species); steindachneri-group; regani-group; eunotus-complex; cruzi-complex; Pebas-complex; Angle-patch-complex; regani-complex; Xingu-complex; caetei-complex; resticulosa-complex; urteagai-complex; commbrae-complex; Apistogrammoides pucallpaensis; macmasteri-group; macmasteri-complex; hongsloi-complex; Rotpunkt-group; A. borellii; Double-patch-Apisto; pertensis-group; pertensis-complex; velifera-complex; iniridae-group; Dwarf species related to the pertensis-group; trifasciata-lineage; brevis-group; cacatuoides-group; nijsseni-group; Species related to cacatuoides/nijsseni; trifasciata-group; A. diplotaenia; agassizii-lineage; gibbiceps-group; A. elizabethae; bitaeniata-group; agassizii-group; agassizii-complex; pulchra-complex; Mikrogeophagus; Glossery, Bibliography; Index.

Obviously, this book leaves out a lot of the periferal information that is not needed to keep and breed these fish, & avoids redundancies found in other books. Instead, it includes information on more species than any other book on the subject. This is not a beginner's book, but if you don't require rescipe book-like descriptions to breed an apistos, it is highly valuable for anyone with a real interest in dwarf cichlids.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Greg PL said:
Mike, do you also distribute the original version? I'd be interested in the bundle ;)

Cheers,
Greg

Me, too (Mike's English translation + the original German book) ^.^

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't have copies of this book for sale, but you can buy it directly from the publisher for €49,90/US$63.66/HK$494.77 at:

http://shop.ulmer.de/T9pd3GIR3EZJ1G1x0JIB6GIExAHEoC0NBGIExAHYqC+++.HTML

I must admit that the book is worth having, just for the photos, maps and drawings not found in the Datz book. I can sell individual books, of course, but it is not cost effective for me or the book purchasers if I bought them one at a time & then added the extra costs of shipping to me and then to them. It would take 10 or more people who are interested in the book + translation before it would be worth while doing a group purchase. If I can get that many hobbyists together, who are willing to buy the book, I'd be willing to do it.

blueblue

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike. So, let's see if there're over ten fellows here who want to acquire the bundle first. IF yes, i would love to be one of the them. ^.^

Mike Wise said:
I don't have copies of this book for sale, but you can buy it directly from the publisher for €49,90/US$63.66/HK$494.77 at:

http://shop.ulmer.de/T9pd3GIR3EZJ1G1x0JIB6GIExAHEoC0NBGIExAHYqC+++.HTML

I must admit that the book is worth having, just for the photos, maps and drawings not found in the Datz book. I can sell individual books, of course, but it is not cost effective for me or the book purchasers if I bought them one at a time & then added the extra costs of shipping to me and then to them. It would take 10 or more people who are interested in the book + translation before it would be worth while doing a group purchase. If I can get that many hobbyists together, who are willing to buy the book, I'd be willing to do it.

fishgeek

if the bundle is two english books book 2 and 3?
blue blue has confused me, then again that doesnt take much
then make me lucky seven

andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
fishgeek said:
if the bundle is two english books book 2 and 3?
blue blue has confused me, then again that doesnt take much
then make me lucky seven

andrew

hmm, the bundle in my mind is "Mike's english translation (only words?!) +
the original book in German" :)

fishgeek

sorry so you guy's are after the book in german with pictures and the same book in english with no pictures

just took me a little longer than the rest

andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't do a lot of selling so I've never used Pay Pal before. In the past I've always accepted check or money transfers (Western Union). Does this create a problem?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No problem sending a cheque :)
Just thought PayPal would be easier and quicker.

For those not in the US, my previous buyers found that money transfers through Westen Union ware faster and easier than sending an international money order in US $.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….