• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

killifish as tankmate

raymond82

Funny, I had the same question in mind (especially after I recently saw some pictures of Laimosemion xiphidus :)).
However, wouldn't the killies pose a serious threat to apisto fry?

Danny Barker

done a bit of research since the post, and from what i can gather, if i get surface dwelling killi's then there should be no problems as they wont come down for the fry's, i maybe wrong tho what you think

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
TomC & I collected Rivulus species with apistos in Peru, so they do live together naturally. Some to the top dwelling killies with upturned mouths work well as dither/target fish.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've used Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Poropanchax normanii, and they are both good dithers (although from the wrong continent).

cheers Darrel

raymond82

Which species would fit the category of having upturned mouths, being top-dwelling and originating from South-America? (species formerly known as) Rivulus species are not exclusively top-dwelling or am I wrong? My girlfriend is a member of the dutch killifish association so she has access to lots of different species. I would love to try using some killi species as dithers but I wouldn't want to endanger the fry. From what I've seen killis can be quite voracious, I've seen some killifish eat other fish half their size.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hi all,
I've used Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Poropanchax normanii, and they are both good dithers (although from the wrong continent).

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel, I’m considering an option like this, as I can’t find any South American killifish in the states. How many of these did you keep together? It looks like both are schooling fish, but if it’s a breeding tank, 6+ dithers seems like too many fish.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
It looks like both are schooling fish, but if it’s a breeding tank, 6+ dithers seems like too many fish.
I had variable numbers, Poropanchax normanii breeds really easily so I used to fish them out on a regular basis. I was considering keeping them again, but now I can't find any. I stopped keeping them because there was no market for them locally and I ended up giving them away. I would guess that a trio would do, but the males harass the females fairly relentlessly (and any other fish that are approximately female shaped).

Epiplatys annulatus is a smaller fish, but you may find you can only get them as pairs, I don't think six would be problem in bioload terms. They are quite active swimmers so I'm not sure a very small tank will suit them.

cheers Darrel

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
The tank I'm thinking of is a 15g, and I'd like to try them with a pair of Dicrossus filamentosus. I like raising fry, but I don't like constantly having to think about where to place them. Epiplatys annulatus might the way to go, since it sounds like they aren't as prolific as Poropanchax normanii.

Though the bioload (~6 killies, 2 Dicrossus) seems fine at the outset, do you think it it's still fine once either species spawns?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….