• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just setup a drarf cichlid tank

sh300

Hi i have a 48x18x18 tank setup for dwarf cichlids, i have 2 eheim 2217 but i think 2 makes too much current they dont seem to like it? i also have 1 blue ram but i will get some more soon and i will also get cockatoo dwarfs and some corydoras sterbais.

Water temp is 82f and ph 6.8 nitrites and ammonia zero of course. What do you think of the setup, conditions any recommendations, would a single eheim 2217 be enough? Thanks and good to be a new member on this forum,
Steve.

sasikan

hi if you are hoping to get babies i would not add the corydoras.do you plan to add many hiding places? at least one per apisto (dries oak leaves make great hiding places for apistos ) also upside down ceramic pots with a a small hole on the top of the rim for them to get in. look at
75 Gal A. eunotus "orangeschwanz" Setup, there is a nice picture of a tank with oak leaves

sh300

Lots of rocks and mangrove not overly worried about getting babies just want a nice amazon community. Can i use other leaves? don't know where to get oak leaves here.

tompoz

Leave just one 2217 and trim it down. I am using Eheim 2224 (which has 40% less throughput than 2217) in a similar tank and it is absolutely sufficient. There is some current that ruby tetras and simulans enjoy while apistos are just fine.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Trim it down you mean take out some rocks/wood?
No, Tompoz means the flow may still be too strong, but I really like Eheim Classics running at "full speed", and I would just diffuse the flow. I use an inlet sponge (Eheim do a "pre-filter" as well) and a spray bar with larger diameter holes. The tanks for Apistogrammas are better with more structure.

This is my cacs tank, it isn't a biotope and it has an ever changing cast of other soft water fish so it isn't ideal as a breeding tank, but the cacs have bred hundreds of fry in there.
tank_july2011.jpg

For a more biotope look see Ruki's post <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/showthread.php?9042> and for the real thing Tom C's web site: <http://apisto.sites.no/>

Where are you located? It will give me a bit more idea of what leaves may be available to you. You can always buy "Indian Almond" leaves from the WWW if you don't have access to anything suitable.

cheers Darrel

sh300

Hi all,
No, Tompoz means the flow may still be too strong, but I really like Eheim Classics running at "full speed", and I would just diffuse the flow. I use an inlet sponge (Eheim do a "pre-filter" as well) and a spray bar with larger diameter holes. The tanks for Apistogrammas are better with more structure.

This is my cacs tank, it isn't a biotope and it has an ever changing cast of other soft water fish so it isn't ideal as a breeding tank, but the cacs have bred hundreds of fry in there.
tank_july2011.jpg

For a more biotope look see Ruki's post <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/showthread.php?9042> and for the real thing Tom C's web site: <http://apisto.sites.no/>

Where are you located? It will give me a bit more idea of what leaves may be available to you. You can always buy "Indian Almond" leaves from the WWW if you don't have access to anything suitable.

cheers Darrel

Nice looking setup, i want to add leaves to my tank can i add any dried leaves?

sh300

I want to put some leaves in my tank i do not know where to get oak leaves so will any leaves be ok?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….