• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ivanacara bimaculata is this the correct name now?

Mazan

Just wondering, as the local fish shop owner told me he might get some of these. When I googled it quickly only Nannacara bimaculata came up at first. Later I did find a reference to ivanacara bimaculata, I assume this is the most up to date name?

There does not seem to be much information around about this fish...

MacZ

If you go by Uwe Römer/Ingo Hahn (2006), I. adoteka and I. bimaculata should be recognized. While for I. adoteka Ivanacara has been fairly established for some years now, most still say Nannacara bimaculata. That's for the hobby community. In the scientific community Ivanacara seems not to be recognized widely at all.

Mazan

If you go by Uwe Römer/Ingo Hahn (2006), I. adoteka and I. bimaculata should be recognized. While for I. adoteka Ivanacara has been fairly established for some years now, most still say Nannacara bimaculata. That's for the hobby community. In the scientific community Ivanacara seems not to be recognized widely at all.
That is interesting, no wonder I could not find anything on google scholar!

Mazan

Has anyone here actually kept N. (or I.) bimaculata? Just wondering, I could find very little information on this species.

Mazan

Yes, I did find a brief video on YouTube from earlier this year. But it certainly does not seem to be a commonly available or kept species. I am surprised our local guy says he can get them…

MacZ

If he can get I. adoteka I'd say I believe him, but I. bimaculata... doubt it very much. If you're lucky he'll get you I. adoteka. If not you end up with any of the remaining Nannacara species.

Mazan

If he can get I. adoteka I'd say I believe him, but I. bimaculata... doubt it very much. If you're lucky he'll get you I. adoteka. If not you end up with any of the remaining Nannacara species.
You are probably right, he did say they would be very expensive, but I. adoketa would be as well....I didn't ask how much though...I think he said he was getting them from Asia so not wild caught... I will try to find out more from him. I was wondering since moving my larger cichlids I now have a 240l tank with just two small plecos in it, and even those could actually go in other tanks...

Mazan

I don't know, it is so rare even to get Apistogramma here. He is getting some A. cacatuoides soon but they are also from Asia, and they are plain grey with yellow tails, not sure what type they are called but I am not keen on them. If he did get I. adoteka I would be interested in those too, or maybe even any Nannacara, not seen any here at all. I will try to find out more.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
N. (I.) bimaculatus occurs so far up the Potaro & Essequibo drainages that no commercial collector would be willing to spend the money to travel that far just to collect fish for sale. Fish hobbyist, however, might. TomC & I did when looking for A. cf. payaminonis (= A. wolli). Many days and $800 in fuel + additional costs later we brought back less than 2 dozen specimens. Definitely not commercially feasable, but then we are 2 crazy apistophiles. I would be more skeptical if they we wild-caught, but maybe some other crazy hobbyist decided to spend the time and money to go find them. Photos would be helpful (look for a white anal patch).

Mazan

I will try to get some more information from the fish shop guy. Maybe he can get some real photos from the distributers. I can't imagine that they are bred on a large scale in Asia, or they would be more commonly available, so maybe (if they really are this species) they are not too far removed from the wild ones...

@Mike Wise please can you tell me something about the habitat you found them in? Was it blackwater? Any plants etc? I was looking for this sort of information (just in case), and have not been able to find anything other than the river drainages they occur in.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mazan, my trip was to collect A. wolli in Peru. The only recent report about N, (I.) bimaculata that I know about is in Romer's Cichlid Atas 1. Romer reports that Franz Vermeulin collected the species in 1997. Vermeulin told Romer that the water was similar to that of I. adoketa: blackwater, very acidic (<pH 5.5) and extremely soft (almost no hardness of any kind at all). There are no known reports of successful reproduction that I know about.

Mazan

Mazan, my trip was to collect A. wolli in Peru. The only recent report about N, (I.) bimaculata that I know about is in Romer's Cichlid Atas 1. Romer reports that Franz Vermeulin collected the species in 1997. Vermeulin told Romer that the water was similar to that of I. adoketa: blackwater, very acidic (<pH 5.5) and extremely soft (almost no hardness of any kind at all). There are no known reports of successful reproduction that I know about.
Interesting, thank you.

Bowluvr

Your guy should ask the supplier for photos. He should also give you price estimates if they were to be ordered. Then go from there IF you're still interested. If the supplier cannot or will not send pics when asked, I'd pass.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….